UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have only posted a few times on these forums and not since we lost Muffin a few months back, hope to be on here a bit more often now.
We've taken the plunge and now have a gorgeous Bengal boy, Django who will be 14 weeks on Sunday, we've had him now just under a week (we get our little girl Bo, this coming Thursday :))
Anyway, my question is regarding feeding. We are currently feeding him the same wet food his breeder had him on, so Whiskas kitten sachets with jelly and Applaws (I plan to slowly change him from Whiskas to a better quality wet food once he is more more settled). I probably fed him a sachet of Whiskas a day with a couple teaspoons of Applaws mixed though split into 3 meals. But the last two days as he has become more comfortable with us and his new home he has turned into this hungry little beast and is constantly looking for more food, I fed him just under two sachets yesterday and almost a tin of Applaws, he was still sitting by his bowl yelling at me for more.

Does this sounds sufficient for him or should I be giving into his demands for more food? I don't want to make him fat but again, I'm scared I'm under feeding him. Any advice welcome. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
He's a little kitten who has lots and lots of growing to do. The general rule is that kittens should have as much food as they want. In addition, they have very small tummies, so they can't eat much at one time, and should be fed often and little.

There will be plenty of time to worry about "making him fat" when he's stopped growing. For my moggies, that was at about a year old, and they started eating less all by themselves. For now, just feed him. And maybe the time to slowly transition him to a better quality food has now arrived, if, as you say, he's getting comfortable and hungry?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have three 12 week old kittens - I free feed them wet ( as much as they can eat) 4-5 times a day. As I understand it it is difficult to over feed kittens because they are growing so quickly :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that's a relief to hear as if I want any sort of peace and quiet he's going to have to have more food!

Very interested in the raw diet, have been doing alot of reading on these forums, def given me something to think about.

Wow Wicket, 3 kittens, you must have your hands full. We will have Bo (14 weeks) joining us on Thursday and am expecting a mad house :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.