Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hung parliment/ people turned away

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GillyR, May 7, 2010.

1. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

What do you think...? and what the hell does it mean?, in my view, not much....still looks like the torys will get in....

What about people being turned away???? surely that can not be right???
    what happened to the right to vote....surely the polling station should be a plenty.

2. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Agree with you there, if they're not careful, there will be riots!

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i prefer a hung parliament because the government work out between themselves who should be primer minister and majority party/s.

I think people being turned away is horrible, but it is against the law to extend the closing time and get votes in after 10pm. so the returning officers either break the law by allowing people to vote or upset a few people by turning them away.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Its a discrace and we should have another vote.:mad:

5. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

If we had heard on the news that people in some third world country had been turned away and not allowed to vote because the administration of system was not set up properly, we would be saying it was rigged and calling for a re-election.

We ought to hold a re-election just as soon as they can get the ballot papers out.

6. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I don't think a Hung Parliament is a particularly good thing. We vote for a reason and that reason is so that we can say who WE want to lead our country.... so the final decision being made by them and not us just seems to me like the whole election was a waste.

I'd be extremely angry if I wasn't allowed to vote (even though I know nothing about politics) because everyone should be given the opportunity to vote.

I too think we should have another vote. I would probably change who I voted for too.

7. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Seven pets, i really do not understand what it means, in all honesty, i thought it meant the votes were not all counted, and when they will be it would be settled? or, is it like you said, because it wasnt finalised before 12.
    the votes go out the window? how do they work out between themselfs..

I agree with you jan, everyone has the right to vote.....i know some were queing for 2 hours !! madness !!! they surely should have predicted, with us going through a recession the the poeple turning out would be higher.....

I reckon it is all a fix anyway.

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

We need another vote, it's only fair.

That's what the politicians keep harping on about so be fair and let us vote again!!

9. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Excellent point.....that is my view....what excuse do we have??? we are not a third world country.

10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I think it means that no party has an overall majority in the election. The parties need to gain a certain number of seats to say they have definately won, and even though we still haven't had all of the results from everywhere yet, they are able to tell that none of the parties are going to be able to reach the number they need to 'win' outright (not sure what the number is - im sure someone will know) and so the party leaders will now have to work together to form some sort of government...I think. I'm not sure what actually happens with who leads us and what happens next lol

....thank god for Alternative Election on C4 last night, helped me to get a basic grip on things, albeit a very basic grip lol

11. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

But that isn't the case though! We do not have representational voting in this country.

The conservatives have the majority at the min, not enough to win but they have the most votes, at present a total of 10,168,583.

But that means that if you count all the other votes up it means that 18,026,077 people didn't want the conservatives to win, Where is the fairness in that?

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Yes Verbatim that's correct. No one party has won the required number of seats to win outright therefore there is now an opportunity for the 2 main parties to shmooze the 3rd in line (lib dems) to gain the required number of seats.

I think the Governing party gets first shot at it.

I am hoping that the hung result sends a strong message that none of them have got it right yet and they all need to work together to give this country what it wants and needs. :thumbup:

13. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I agree :)

14. Spellweaver

It isn't fair - but if you have more than two parties you are always going to get rule by a minority, unless you have proportional representation. Proportional representation is the only fair system.

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

16. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I believe that the Lib dems were going to introduce that, or something similar!

17. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

While it doesn't seem fair on the face of it, the law is that polling closes at 10pm. It does beg the question why so many people wait till the last minute to vote given that polling stations were open from 7am. If people have difficulty getting to the polling station they can always opt for postal voting or proxy voting.

18. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Looking at what Nick Clegg has said, it looks to me like he will be going with the tories.And if he doesn't he would have told his 1st outright lie.lol:D

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

But surely you could say that for anything? Say something like the Britains Got Talent final.... if there are 10 million votes all together and an act wins because they got the most votes (say 4 million) and the other two acts get 3million votes each.... that doesn't mean to me that the act with the most votes shouldn't win because the combined number of votes for the other two actually got more votes because they didn't, they got less votes as individuals, therefore the person with 4 million votes does deserve to win.

I know politics is not like BGT but I was just trying to put it into terms I could explain more easily :eek: and maybe others don't agree with it, but that is how I see it.

I think we should just have another vote. Are there any chances of it actually happening?

20. Spellweaver

From what I've seen on the news it wasn't that they turned up late, it was that the system just couldn't cope. Some of them had been queueing for over three hours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice