Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Humping?...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JessandJackson_x, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

HI ALL!

Jackson was neutered at 3 months old @ Battersea.

he had a few episodes of leg humping for the 1st month of having him home but he's got a lot better until recently. there is a lot of mounting when I am doing things like putting my socks on, on the bed - it's more on my back and there is a lot of associated neck nibbling, ear licking etc. I am not sure why its all of a sudden returned although now it just seems more premiscious. He's not needy as such but when he's cuddling me it has to be very affectionate and intimate. He's not jealous of me and OH either.

You'll probably all reply and say don't put yourself in situations for him to be like this but it's hard. I wonder if the fact he is coming into adolescence has something to do with it.

2. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

When Thai turned up he used to be a prolific humper due to a lack of impulse control,frustration, and training (neutered and entire dogs can hump, it's not a sexual thing) and pulling nearly 40kg of a lump of your leg was no fun :rolleyes:

To solve it I taught a settle on your mat cue and any time that he got humpy I would remove myself and put him on his mat to calm down.
    I have been hump free for years now.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  3. JessandJackson_x

LOL HUMP-FREE

I have been walking out the room shutting the door for 15 seconds and coming back in carrying on with what I was doing.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't know that I would call this issue resolved in the span of what, one hour? But I am glad that what you're doing seems to be working :)

Just a caution... A lot (all?) of the issues you post about seem to be rooted in general anxiety, unease on Jackson's part. I think it's worthwhile to address the fact that he is feeling anxious, that he does feel the need to 'drain' his anxiety in these undesirable behaviors.

Getting the behaviors to stop is one thing. Addressing the root of the issue is really where it's at. You can spend a whole lot of time working on stopping *this* behavior and then *this* behavior and then *this* behavior, or you can work on addressing the whole picture and have much more success long-term.

Granted, a lot of this might be simply that Jackson is still rather new to this new home. He's still settling in. Some of this will go away on it's own as he continues to settle (and mature).

5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Good catch :)

JoanneF likes this.
  6. JessandJackson_x

Just noted the pun-intended. Very good. Lol.

I have figured out, even though the dog-walker takes him for 45 minutes, that it just isn't enough. I came home early today (1:30) and crept along the pathway hoping to find him fast asleep after a cold / long walk. Nope. As soon as I walked in he was in overdrive (more so than when he greets me at 4PM). Going forward, I am not going to feed him when I get in. Tonight I drove out in the car to a nearby derelict field and played with him solid for 30 minutes. Got him back, fed him and now he's quietly chomping on a chew in the other room. I think he's just going to be a dog that needs a lot of wearing out.

7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

I think you'd be doing well to surprise any dog when you come home (and if you can manage it, offer your services as a sniper for the army!). Even asleep, he'll become aware of your presence before you can get in to him. My 15 year old Lab can be still asleep when I get into the house (but I thik he's also a bit deaf), but the Sprocker is always waiting. In addition, do you know when your walker gets your dog back home - he might simply not have settled after his walk?

kimthecat likes this.
  8. JessandJackson_x

6th sense N all that, I guess!

Erm - I should really have a conversation with her. Do "walk timings" work when they "arrive" at the place they are going to be walked or do they actually work from the moment they hook them up on the lead at my house? As in theory, that means a walk would be 25 minutes but then that wouldn't seem logical?

9. JessandJackson_x

I just went ahead and texted her and I was right - it's time from door-to-door... so when she enters my door to get him

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm all for dogs getting adequate physical activity.
    However, the problem with the 'wear him out' philosophy is that you end up with a very fit dog who needs more and more activity to get 'worn out' and at his age, I would still be cautious about growth plates...

I'll just repeat that it's worth looking at his anxiety levels and helping him learn to settle himself in appropriate ways.

Burrowzig, Rafa, ShibaPup and 3 others like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Senior moment here.

What pun?

12. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Depends on the dog walker. My group dogs, who book on for an hour, start when I arrive at my place of walking so they are walked for an hour, not when I pick them up from their house.
    Solo dogs are similar (though I normally walk them from their house unless there’s a nice place very close to drive to), the walk starts when i walk out the door with the dog onlead or when I arrive at my place of walking in the car, not when I enter the house.

O2.0 likes this.
  13. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, same here...If it is really muddy then we may finish up a few minutes early for a wash down and dry.
    I was the same as a freelance groomer too...an hour meant an hour.

Apparently it's not usual practice though. Most (all but me I think) dog walkers in my area will only walk for 30-45 mins if you pay for an hour...I know we have to make a living but I can't justify charging for 15 mins to put a harness on.

O2.0 likes this.
  14. JessandJackson_x

She said it is her standard practice and mainly because she does 121s she said she does walk Jackson from the house to the field so timing starts when she leaves the house like that. However, its a good 15 minute walk to the field and he doesn't get his excersize with a lead-on walk... i am going to start looking into pack walks as they charge by the hour and as soon as they get to the woodland

15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

What would a 'pack walk' consist of?

16. JessandJackson_x

Approx 3 other dogs

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Ages? Behavior? Compatibility with Jackson?

He is a juvenile and very susceptible to learning things from other dogs. This can be excellent or terrible. :)

I've always loved having older dogs around to teach obnoxious teens some ropes, but I've also gone seasons with two dogs never being off leash together because I could not trust them not to succumb to the influence of each other over their training.

18. JessandJackson_x

I know the lady who does them and she's great.

He's going for a trial run with some on Wednesday but we've met some already and is likey to be with - a cocker spaniel (mini) who he loves and wants to play and run about with him...a gorgeous whippets who puts all the pack in their place

I was thinking of x 2 pack walks a week and x 3 of the 121 walks or do you think the variety of people and ways about them will confuse him?

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think, based on the new thread you just posted, the last thing this dog needs is a 'pack walk' where he's getting more practice using walks as a time to go nuts with other dogs.

I'm just going to set this here and hope that you read it:
    https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/bonnie-and-porter/

If he were my dog, he would not be interacting with ANY other dogs on walks until he learned a very definitive recall and some manners. He can go on walks and interact with you or whoever his handler is at the time. He can do training, scent games, and anything that gets him interacting with his human, but he's done getting to interact with other dogs for now. He's getting some really bad habits ingrained....

Jobeth, JoanneF, Linda Weasel and 3 others like this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

How did it go on Wednesday?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice