Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Humping....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Angel, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

My dog has a habit of humping my children, mainly my son.
    He is the one that runs around playing and rolling on the floor with her the most.
    And the next minuite she has hold of his arm or leg giving it all she has got!!!!
    I was wondering if it was because she was excited through playing that she does it.

Any ideas??

2. Magik

Magik Guest

maybe dominance?

3. pinkminx

pinkminx PetForums Newbie

Our puppy has a habit of humping a cuddly bunny that he especially likes humping after his evening meal! I think it is a sign of dominance and shouldn't be encouraged although apparently males and females are known for humping. Perhaps when she does it your son should say 'no' and refuse to play with her for a few minutes. It can cause problems when the pet is adult. I'm not sure what to do about our pups humping behaviour as my partner and I thought it funny when he started doing it and still find it amusing - we could be setting ourselves up for problems later! Are you planning to neuter your pup? I think the behaviour settles down when they are neutured/castrated.

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Already explained by the members above - its through excitement and a touch of dominence - as DH has said a good firm NO should have her knowing its wrong to do :)

5. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Some of the worst humpers I know were neutered before puberty.

Very few entire fully adult members of both species hump unless a bitch is in season when both will.

6. tan

tan PetForums Junior

At the training club I go to,they recommend that when a dog does that,to firstly,as everyone else has said,say a firm "no!",then walk away and ignore it for five minutes or so.It worked with one of mine!:)

7. garryd

garryd Guest

i agree ,a good firm poke in the neck every time should work;)

8. susiecue

susiecue PetForums Junior

We had a dog years ago & she did the same,I wish we had stopped her when she was young as she ended up wanting to hump on my husbands leg nearly every night never anyone elses just his,it became a real habit & was very embarassing when people came to visit.
    It didn't bother my husband he said she was doing no harm & let her carry on.
    She had her daily hump until she died at 14 yrs old,so once they start they never stop.

9. puppy

puppy PetForums Junior

Yup. I have two dogs, an intact male, and a spayed female. Guess which one humps? :rolleyes: I've never seen the male hump anyone or anything. That girl on the other hand...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice