Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hugh's Chicken Run

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Magik, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Magik

Magik Guest

Who watched it?

I've always eaten free range and organic because that's what my girl friend buys but my eyes have been opened watching this program.

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Yep, i watched it aswell :( Opened my eyes to but I could'nt rear my own chickens and watch them die that way and then eat em after :( :eek:

I watched the kill it, cook it, and eat it the other night aswell with the lil kid goats :( OMG that had me in tears :(.

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I have free range chickens for laying eggs, but i'm a veggie, so they will just live their life here even after they stop laying, they are very cheap to feed, and lay outstanding eggs, I must say when they handed out brains they weren't at the front of the queue.

4. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

As they get killed the same way and in the same place how do you know what Chicken your getting being Organic , Free Range or Batery , its just a label on the chicken at the end of the day.It made me feel sick and it opened my eyes to the Chicken and I love hot chicken sandwiches but I don't think I would even buy a Chicken from the supermarket again.

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

yes i watched,,,,,:(:(

6. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

I couldn't watch it......I would have been in tears, but my husband watched and told me what it was all about without witnessing it.......I will not buy supermarket chicken ever again - free range/organic from now on.

7. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I didnt see it - I did mean to watch it but missed it.....

8. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

I watched it.
    No more standard chicken for us.... in fact maybe no more chicken full stop!!! poor chickies :(

9. colacooler

colacooler PetForums Junior

I eat free range eggs but that's it.

Yeah it's horrible about the way they are treated but it's all about supply, demand, money and the capitalist west.

Can't afford to go free range, would be nice but this is the real world. Supermarket chickens taste fine to me and while I would love for a chicken to be able to run around freely and everything, it just won't happen!

10. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

We're only talking about £1.50 more on a free range-chicken. Are we saying its ok to treat animals in a cruel manner as long as it's cheap for us? :confused:

Im not trying to cause an argument tho.. i understand budgets are tight, I just feel strongly about cruelty to animals no matter what form it takes.

11. colacooler

colacooler PetForums Junior

Got a feeling it's more than that. Where I used to work your looking at double the price.[Marks and Sparks, i know it's different but yeah it's almost double] I have had free range chickens from there when reduced to staff [ due to dates] and tbh I can't taste the difference.

I know what your saying though, but thing is when you eat out, anywhere from up market restaraunts to fast food you know 99% of the time it's gonna be the cheapest meat they can get, not free range.

I dislike animal cruelty but nothing is going to change it....free range will never surpass battery chicken, too much supply and demand.

Everyone is aware of the situation around battery chickens but still buy regular chickens. There isn't much of a difference in quality of the meat just the price, and until there is a difference people won't change. Too easy to buy regular chicken, and Tesco always have them at 2 for £5. It's the consumption society. No-one wants chickens to suffer and support battery chickens but it's just yeah it's tough, hard to put across in words!

12. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

Yeah i understand what you mean! Its a difficult one. And you're definately right about restaraunts. Very few offer free range chicken.

13. Food is overproduced and we dont really need that much of cheep food anyway. Looks like it will come to smaller farms with better quality meat/vegetables etc.

14. colliemerles

i would love to have a small farm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,must be very hard work,, and a struggle money wise

15. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I Watched it. I was a veggie for ten years but due to whatever, long story, I started again eating meat gradually, now a full blown meat eater, not burgers, sausages ect.

Watching that hit me again to go back veggie, its wrong to produce meat like we do, years ago they had a good cut of meat on sundays and made shepards pie ect with left overs, healthier and cheaper, we dont need all the meat we eat.

16. colliemerles

well said ,,,.............................

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice