Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Huge Placcy

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium Galleries' started by kaz, Jan 12, 2008.

1. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

This placcy doesn't believe that he should only eat algae - if we put new fish in the tank they disappear - he is now about 8 inches long:eek:

placcy.jpg (60.0 KB)

Attached Files:

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

great pic, I take it he lives alone now:)

3. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

We used to have a big aquarium but i had to sell it when i had my little lad because i couldn't look after it anymore. We had a big plec to he/she never used to munch on the other fish though lol

Attached Files:

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Fab pic - I had a plec years ago and LOVED him so much - they are great although I did have some missing fish here and there too come to think about it!!!!!

5. guineapigqueen

guineapigqueen PetForums Senior

Your plec still has plenty of growing to do. They can grow upto 18inches long and have quiet wide and deep bodies. Plecs mainly live on a diet of veggies, but the odd fish goes down well, lol. I would consider finding him/her a decent size fish to live with such as a Tiger Oscar, they will stand their ground but you need a decent size tank 3ft plus!

Emma x

6. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

He co-exists with a placcy 1/3 of his size, 2 small loachy things and he allows 2 neon tetras to share his tank as well:p

7. derick

derick PetForums Junior

hi fish people my name is derick i keep tropical fish i dont have a pelc, but i have a red tailed black shark who is a real bully, he never leaves all the other fish alone, but he is a great looking fish,

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

ahhhh now i know what i have just been looking at in your tank Derick,,,,:):)

9. griffpan

griffpan PetForums VIP

Aww he's a lovely plec, i used to have 2 in my tank, i called them Posh & Becks, they got to big though as they reached over a foot each in size, so we rehomed them.

When i try to take photos of my tank they always come out rubbish, yours are fab though.

Paula

10. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hee hee hee, posh and becks,, i like that,,,

11. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Hi just saw pic of your pleccy,i had a huge tank a few years ago 6ft by 6ftx3ft wide.I had 2 huge oscars around 18 inches long and 2 plecs arond the same size,maybe a bit bigger.They were carnivorous and ate live food,and their bodies were solid like they had armour plating on,and very strong 1 ended up down my top when i emptied and sold the tank!

12. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

my plec is about 40 years old coz i got it from a man who had hadit since he was a boy :)

its about 9 1/2 inches so ur pleccy is catching up!
    ther supposed to be vegetarian but mine likes fishfood, it floats upside down on the surface hoovering up the flakes :p

13. snowey

snowey PetForums Member

He's lovely - usually use "dead fish" for mating to feed young

14. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

I had a couple of huge plecs,they were about 18 inches,they are definatly carnivorius when they get that big!!they were not interested in any algae!

15. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

try wieghting down some cucumber!
    have they got a bit of bog wood to munch on?

16. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

I think they would rather eat flesh kay:D

17. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

ooh as long as it aint mine lol:D

18. Purrrrfect

Purrrrfect PetForums VIP

I used to have a 3ft tank in a cabinet with a small Plec and a Silver Shark i had from a baby amongst other fish and Dwalf Clawed Frogs and a 4ft tank with Jack Dempsey,s and Blue Acara's plus a huge Plec. If you go to Nottingham shopping centre they have a huge tank in the middle with silver sharks in and the biggest Plecs you ever saw lol :D

19. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

used to have a 3' tropical set up.. We had a Plec in it he was huge.. and our fish started vanishing.. Then we caught him.. he would suddenly surge across the tank and swallow a likkle fishy:eek::eek: and then it was gone!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice