Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hubby is suffering

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jem29, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

We got our kitten 2 weeks ago. I know hubby had a cat allergy but he said he would put up with it for me.

The first week he was fine, holding him he had no reaction at all. Then after a week he started having a tight chest and itchy eyes which has got worse ever since.

He uses antihistamine, has to because he has hayfever and he has even been having a puff of my sons inhaler when he is very wheezy.

I love Pebbles but I told hubby I would give him to someone else if he was that bad, I don't want to see him suffer but he refused.

I feel so bad, what else can I do to help him? I no longer let the kitten in our bedroom and I hoover daily. Would one of those pet hoovers help? any particular antihistamine that might work better? allergy injection?

I don't want to see Pebbles go:(

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Do you groom daily? Perhaps getting a furminator would be a good thing. If you groom her everyday the less she will shed so hopefully the less the reaction.

3. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Hi,

No I don't. What is a furminator?lol!

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Grooming will help a lot. The more you get out with grooming the less your cat will shed :)

FURminator

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry for you and your Hubby.
    You can have an Allergy test at the hospital to find out if it is your kitten. This happened to my Hubby and it turned out it was other things, such as dust mites and tree fungal spors.
    Also on the market you can buy wipes for your cat. As what these experts are now saying that it's the saliva on the cats fur from when they have been washing.
    They are called allergy relief petwipes form petkin.
    I have a packet unopened if you would like them. let me no and i will post it out to you.
    I bought these before my hubby went for his test and luckily we don't need them.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww that is sad, i hope you can find a solution and keep your kitty and have a happy healthy other half, :) :)

7. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

if your thinkin bout gettin a new vacumn a pet one wnt help with the allergy jst with suckin the hairs up. altho you cud try the dyson with the hepa filter which is designed for ppl with allergies and things

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Just remember hes a kitten at the moment and therefore home 24/7 with probably no doors / windows open therefore the allergy will effect him more (it always did me). You can get an allergy injection which I am also looking into, however my hayfever has been crazy the past 2 weeks cos the pollen count is very high at this time so I take 1 pill in the morning and 1 at night now which helps alot!

There are sprays for your nose for congestion - cant think of the name offhand sorry! but also regular hoovering and washing hands if he touches / pets kitty.

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Just forgot to add, it would be a good idea to have a cat free room for times when its really bad. When hes old enough to go out it will make a huge difference trust me!

10. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thanks for all of your advice.

Hubby got so bad over the last week with his hayfever and his breathing has been very tight so I marched him to the GP yesterday morning. The GP is also allergic to cats so told hubby best thing to do would be to get rid:( Hubby told him I had said I would if it was going to make him this bad but hubby won't let me do that.

The GP said the allergy is caused by something called, is it dena? or something like that, that they spray?? is this right? he said he went to an allergy seminar and was told this. He said the washing of the cat is supposed to help.

He seems to think hubby has asthma caused by the allergy to the cat, hubby is so wheezy. He has to go back in a month to have a review.

11. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

When I went to my doctors all they kept telling was to get rid of my pets as I am allergic to both cats & dogs, it does annoy me that they dont try to help with the symptoms and dont seem to understand the emotional attachment we have to our pets! I hope you find a solution :)

12. claire484

claire484 PetForums Junior

Have you tried a solution called 'Petal Cleanse'? I anticipated problems with my OH when we got our cat, and started using this- his reaction to the cat has now gone! It's quite easy- groom the cat, put some of the solution on a cloth/flannel and wipe it over the cats coat, then wipe with a dry flannel to remove the excess! I think its about £10 a bottle, but we've had ours 3 months now and there's still plenty left.
    BTW it says its completely safe for cats, even if they lick it off. You can also buy sprays for furniture etc which I used when a friend with a cat allergy visited- he seemed OK too.

HTH

Claire

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could it be dander?

Its often the proteins in the skin that people are allergic too. Dander is the small particles of skin found in the animals fur.

14. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you.

Do you have to groom and add that lotion daily?

15. claire484

Just once a week!

16. claire484

17. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thanks, I shall be ordering some.

I just feel so bad, I really can't let him carry on like this. He is wheezing and coughing constantly:( I just can't imagine letting Pebbles go though, I am so attached to him now:confused:

18. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Isn't there an injection that can be given to allergy sufferers?

19. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

i once found sumat on google for a mate o fmine who resuced a lil dog , to only find out she was alergic to him ... giving him up was not an option .. i found a spray that could be sprayed on his coat .. not sure if this can go on cats (cos they lick and groom themselves but ill try and dig out the info for you )
    julie x

20. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thanks for all your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice