Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HRT for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bella7, Jun 27, 2009.

1. bella7

bella7 PetForums Junior

I asking this for a friend who has a 10 month old Westie bitch who was neutered 3 months ago. She has suddenly started weeing herself when she's asleep so my friend took her to the vet and he has prescribed HRT tablets at £40 a month which he says she will have to take for the rest of her life. He never carried out any tests just asked her age and when she was neutered, other than this the dog has no other problems, she can hold her wee when she's awake.

My friend is really upset and thinks he should of carried out some sort of test, and has never heard of a dog on HRT?!

Can anyone help?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If your friend isnt happy with the treatment she can demand tests. Personally i would, as it could be related to something completely different. If the vets get funny, just move to another one.

Its not uncommon for spayed bitches to "leak", but its very poor practice to merely assume this is the case without investigating.

What treatment is she having exactly? I have a male dog that has a similar problem, but his is related to injury. He has been on propalin since he was about 3/4 (i forget now), and it works wonders, even though its designed for bitches, and shouldnt work for dogs. Is one fo the most common drygs used for urinary incontinence in bitches, and doesnt cost the earth.

Propalin Top

If i were your friend, id seek a second opinion. A basic urine test should have been performed.

3. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

Sounds like the medicine is stilbestrol which is a type of estrogen that we often use for incontinence in dogs. However, this price seems a little steep! In my practice it is quite an inexpensive medicine.

It is a little odd that no tests were done. Usually we do a urinalysis to make sure there is not some other issue along with the incontinence. It's not a bad idea to have a urine test done just to be sure!

Dr. Marie.
    I browse this forum from time to time but if you need help now, click here for Online Veterinary Advice.

4. bella7

bella7 PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies. I'll pass the info onto my friend. I think she is going to go to another vet for a second opinion.

Cheers :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice