Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How's everyone's tanks faring in the hot weather?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by NaomiM, Jul 10, 2018.

1. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

I did a water change on all three tanks yesterday, checking the temp first as usual. The trop tank was a little higher than normal at 26 C. The temp tank was also at 26 - usually I try to keep it between 20-22, but as it's all barbs in there at the moment apart from my one solitary surviving WCMM, and understocked, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The poor ADFs, though, were up to 30 C - I'm guessing a combination of it being a tiny tank and being upstairs. The frogs seem to be coping pretty well, though, and were as lively as usual when I gave them their bloodworm. All heaters are unplugged and all got a 50% water change in water 1 degree cooler than the tank so as to hopefully cool them slightly without shocking them.

So how are everyone else's tanks doing in the heat, and are you doing anything to try to cool them down?

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I have a 200l and everyone is fine. They are in the living room and I have been keeping the curtains drawn so its only been about 26/27 degrees in the room at its warmest and the tank is staying at its normal 25 degree temp.

The only downside is that the heat seems to have precipitated another krib breeding frenzy so I am getting even more of them :( Any want any kribs? :D

Picklelily and NaomiM like this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

It's cloudy and cool this morning (thank goodness, I was getting a bit tired of the heat!), so the goldfish tank is at 24C today and the highest it's been is 26C. Fish are bright & active so I've not felt the need to do anything about it, apart from make sure they are well fed as higher temperature increases their metabolism. Plus being a big tank it warms up slowly and cools down slowly, so they are not getting shocked by big temperature jumps.

kittih and NaomiM like this.
  4. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

The large community tank is ok temp wise at around 25c which is normal.

My large betta sorority is at 28C as normal.

The small tanks on the other hand... the shrimp only tank which I normally keep around 23C has been around 32C which is very high so I have been doing small cold water changes daily along with floating a frozen water bottle. Shrimp seem uneffected and as active as normal but I know the high temps will cause harm long time.

The other small tanks are around 30c which is ok as they are normally around 27c and while there are shrimp in there as well, they are mainly culls and male bettas so not too worried long term as they are used to high temps.

5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I have had the tank become warmer than normal but I suspect my bigger issue is the new Fluval Plant 3 light which runs very hot although it's made a stunning difference to my plants in just 2 weeks. I have had to turn the tank heater down to 22C to keep the tank at a steady 30C. Oddly enough the only fish who has been unhappy is my male Betta who has had a touch of bloat this week which I suspect was due to constipation. Since ordering live foods in this heat seems a recipe for disaster 2 days starving and peas for tea seems to have sorted it.

I do think keeping curtains closed helps a lot along with no lid on the tank.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice