Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

howling labrador when left alone..help please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by busterboy, May 25, 2010.

1. busterboy

busterboy PetForums Newbie

I have a 5 year labrador, he is trained and brill in all ways but one, he has for a little while now been howling and carrying on like a loud demented thing when he is left alone, i have to go to work so i have to leave him, the neighbour has started shouting over the fence, and as he is a dog hater, nothing is going to shut him up, its only a matter of time, if he hasn't already reported me to my ha. I shut my dog at the back of the house, i have been leaving the patio door open so he can go in and out, i have left music on. i have tried most things, he also gets excited and barks and jumps when you take him for a walk (he has always done this) he rushes, barking when anyone comes to the door, and barks at people he sees through the window, this is why i shut him in the rear of the house when i go out.

Do these dog alarms work, if so which one, how do i stop him, l do have to go to work. should i confine him to a smaller space.

any advice would be fantastic
    cheers

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I would suggest you consider calmatives such as rescue remedy and DAP diffusers. Also have you ever tried crate training him? How long has this been a problem. If you think your neighbour is going to report you, you may need to think about doggie day care, or a dog sitter until you can sort this out, as there really is no quick fix.

If you type Separation Anxiety into the search in the blue bar at the top there is loads of great advice on this. There is also a sticky in dog chat about cages and crates.

Our boy had this problem and as we live on a complex we had 11 close neighbours for him to howl to :rolleyes:
    It has taken loads of effort to sort this problem, and over a few months.

Hope you can sort this soon :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice