Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How would you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thedogsmother, May 8, 2011.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ok Ive put this question in general as its more of a situation handling thing rather than a small animal thing. My sons best friend just got some guinea pigs, I asked to see them so I could have a cuddle and go awwwwww but when I got outside into the back garden I saw two of the tiniest gpigs Ive ever seen but they were in a hutch thats about 2ft by 1ft if that, I asked if what they ate and was he enjoying getting vegetables and seeing them munch and he said they just eat pet shop food, so I asked if they had a run and apparently they can come and play indoors occasionally. Now these are really nice people but the hutch especially is far too small, and they need a run in my opinion so how do I go about bringing the subject up with his parent and how do I tactfully say that its cruel to keep them where they are now, also do guinea pigs need neutering to stop fighting like rabbits do (they are brothers). I cant go in all guns blazing like Im prone to doing as my son has special needs and would never forgive me if I upset his friend.

2. thedogsmother

The book idea is fantastic, thanks Metame, I will try to find one that gives cage sizes etc then it can be a little gift, they are nice people so they would never knowingly let an animal suffer.

3. metame

metame PetForums VIP

haha, no probs. hope you manage to find a decent one. i cant even help with suggestions of a complete book cause i had all different ones with different bits in and cross reference everything (i dont believe any one book can be perfect :eek:)

and you could always print off a list of things they can eat fresh food wise seperatley so there is a full list and put it in the book if there isnt one in there

im sure our pigs and rabbits favourite days were sundays cause they got all the veg cuttings from the sunday roast as extra :lol:

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

You've got small animals haven't you?

I'd probably be like 'Oh hey I was looking for a new run/cage for ________ on Gumtree (or wherever) and saw a brilliant guinea pig run going cheap'. They might be like oh we don't need one and you can be all 'oh, guinea pigs whatever whatever whatever about being outside' or maybe the appeal of one going cheap anyway might persuade them (when you look in Pets At Home etc you could pay through your nose for a tiny run which might put some people off).

5. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Oh god, I hate situations like this. Contrary to popular belief I'm not good with conflict and hate upsetting people, so you have my sympathy!

Males piggies can be more prone to fighting than girls, but they don't need to be neutered (it doesn't usually affect their behaviour / fighting). The best option for preventing / alleviating fighting is to give them plenty of space and at least one each of important resources (so two hideys, two food bowls, etc) Obviously in a tiny hutch this is impossible - the poor pigs must be bored out of their minds.

I agree that trying to locate a good cheap hutch or hutch / run combo and suggesting it to them would be a good idea. Maybe you could suggest to the parents they buy one as a birthday gift or something?

My only concern about getting them a book is that many of them are totally inaccurate, some to the point of dangerous - some still recommend vit C drops in water rather than veg (please no!), and the guineapiglopedia actually states the smaller the cage the better! :eek:

The best resources for piggie info are IMO guinealynx and cavy cages. (Not sure the rules on posting links so feel free to google).
    However, these are VERY pro-rescue, high welfare, pro animal rights folk who can be fanatical and sometimes rude. They are also totally against outdoor pigs, so don't expect hutch advice!
    My advice is get the info from there but avoid getting involved in chat if easily offended!

I have gone with their advice on cage sizing though - for two boys they recommend a minimum on 10.5 sq feet, preferably bigger.

As for food - could you maybe take them round a pot of parsley or something for them to grow (as a "gift") to feed to the pigs. Its a start at least and might get them into the whole veggies feeding thing. Otherwise suggest feeding leftover fruit and veg they get for themselves.

Difficult situation, so best of luck!

6. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

You said they are nice people so I'm sure they would love some advice.

Just be nice about it and print off some basic info from internet on food/ cages etc... and say something like" I saw this and thought of you it might be of help" or perhaps give it to the mother and say that you thought it may help the child feel more independent looking after his own pets and here's some info to help him. Something like that perhaps?

Perhaps save up some left over veg/fruit and give to them and say like I saved this for your pets and they may then think they had better give them so too.

I'm sure it will be ok and they will welcome the help :001_smile:

7. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I'm with Metame on this. The book is a great idea.

I wanted to rep Metame for it, but for some strange reason on my screen her post does not show at all. :confused:

It literally starts with you asking for advice, and then the second post is you quoting Metame and thanking her for the advice? Did she PM you that reply?

I can't even give her a 'like'.

:(

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Ohhhhhhhh yeah.....

I saw her post earlier, it was def there :p

9. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

That post does'nt show on my screen either Strange :confused:

10. metame

metame PetForums VIP

it's not strange, i deleted the post

GoldenShadow likes this.
  11. rona

rona Guest

Why, because people thought it was a good post?

12. thedogsmother

Can anyone tell me how old gpigs should be when they go to their new homes?

13. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

8 weeks at the youngest! They start to mature at 14-16 weeks so boys should be in groups by then or you'll have trouble! They can mate at around 10 weeks, but don't generally become dominant till 14-16 weeks!

#13 CharleyRogan, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. CharleyRogan

Pip was 7 weeks when I got him from a breeder, and the other boys 10 weeks from P@H

15. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Could you not suggest this place :D

When my sister got her rabbit I knew it was a fad and my parents would end up caring for it (that is what happened to :rolleyes: )

I know she signed up and someone else told her she was doing it wrong and gave her advice and it really helped.

16. thedogsmother

I think I will suggest joining here, I will have to ask a mod to delete this thread if they do join though, I dont want them to think Ive been talking about them.

17. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

I was in this situation myself.

My friend has a pair of female mice in a mini duna I think.

When she first got them I sent her loads of links to great mice cages and she was really interested but didn't win the one they wanted (I even said I'd drive them to collect any they won!) so they've still got the little one.

To be fair, she gets them out really often and plays with them in a plastic box with tubes etc.

She also feeds them things like cheesy doritos because they go wild for them apparently. I'm like "... just make sure it's only a little bit, they can get things like diabetis etc." :eek:

18. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

LOL my dad was browsing here the other day...if he joined I'd have to ask a mod to delete 99% of mine :D

19. CharleyRogan

I had a friend try and feed my piggies choccie... I nearly lamped her because she was like oh its not gonna hurt. its poison to them, so I said to her if I fed her a bit of arsenic, would that be okay, because its the same thing.... she got the message after that!

20. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

My mum fed my cat chocolate. I could have thumped her. She KNOWS chocolate is bad for animals. Fortunately, it wasn't enough to make him ill at all.

My friend also feeds her mice prawn crackers and choccie diggies. I'm like *cringe*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice