Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How would you teach a deaf dog 'bed'?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 11, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have been looking into a few sites on training deaf dogs, incase I do get Poppy. And was wondering do you think there's a way you could teach 'go to bed'?

She has a bit of SA and needs to follow you around to make sure you are still there.
    I would be getting a stair gate for the kitchen (once she had settled in) and having her a plastic dog bed in next to Dave and Dixie, so that she gets used to not being with me all the time.

I will be using the 'goodbye' signal for when I am actually leaving so sh knows, (it was on humphreys site) but i want to be able to ask her to go to bed and wondered how I would do this and what hand signal?

I might not even be getting this dog, but I want to be really prepared just incase I do. They are giving it a week or 2 after the foster dog leaves (today) to see if she improves. If not, she will be coming to me.

x

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Try whenever she goes over to the bed making whatever handsignal you're going to use and then reward. You could which is what we use hands together by the side of your head.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh yeah, that's a good one :) Thanks.

I am going to use a little torch as a clicker. And thumbs up if she has been good, incase I can't get the torch.
    Someone gave me the link to humphrey the dalmatian's site and the signals on that are really good, going to use afe of them :)

x

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

My old Collie is deaf i just claps my hands and point to bed and she go's..:D

But might take a few trys but you will get there..;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice