UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks, I have been to see Sleeping_Lion and LexiLou2 a fair bit for some training with the dogs.
Now, these sessions have been somewhat of an eye-opener to say the least. As a first-time (lone) dog owner (we had a family dog in the past, but I can't really count her), I was always aware that there are many things that I have yet to learn. But Sleeping_Lion and LexiLou2 pointed out so many things that happen in the every day life and the interactions between me and Terence, that once tweaked would have a HUGE (positive) impact on our relationship. And I missed most of these things.

After the first training session, we changed some things around at home and it's made a huge difference already. Now, he's not perfect (far from it), but it never occurred to me before to think about the everyday things and how they impact on his training. We haven't actually included any new exercises, but, for example, I stopped jabbering on at him when we are out walking, so he actually pays much more attention than he did previously. Yesterday, I got loads of ideas on how to improve my handling skills and it's got me thinking: How good do you think you actually are? Are you aware of how you interact with your dog every step of the way?
Ramble over. :eek:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I have an enormous amount to learn; think I've been getting better since joining the dog training club as the trainers and experienced owners there point out lots of things to me - it will be many years (if ever) until I'd rate myself as good.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Probably pretty crappy a lot of the time but then I don't aim for perfection. I talk to her quite a bit at home but then she listens in the home so this isn't a problem, I rarely talk to her when we're out unless it's as part of training/recall/praise for doing as told etc. We have quite a good relationship I like to think, I'm always happy to take on board what people suggest so long as they're not rude about it. I don't find my training classes all that helpful for my handling skills to be honest but then I go there mainly to get her working round dogs so oh well, I will be going to a better, more expensive class in the future once I've got the beginner/slightly more advanced stuff down pat. I would like to walk with even more experienced doggy people so long as they're not barbed with their criticism, I find often it's hard to suggest things and not come across as nasty when it comes to other peoples handling skills.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an enormous amount to learn; think I've been getting better since joining the dog training club as the trainers and experienced owners there point out lots of things to me - it will be many years (if ever) until I'd rate myself as good.
Yes, I doubt I'll ever get any good. ;)
Sleeping_Lion also pointed out things like how I hold the lead, and she told me when I did the heelwork, I should stride and not shuffle along, like I did. :eek: I don't think I ever strode in my whole life. :eek:
But, with a dog like Mr T, all these things make such a huge difference, it's quite mind-boggling. :crazy:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Yes, I doubt I'll ever get any good. ;)
Sleeping_Lion also pointed out things like how I hold the lead, and she told me when I did the heelwork, I should stride and not shuffle along, like I did. :eek: I don't think I ever strode in my whole life. :eek:
But, with a dog like Mr T, all these things make such a huge difference, it's quite mind-boggling. :crazy:
The first time I went to training here I was told to stride - big difference I agree!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
My handling skills are awful and I am still trying to find the right training class. Sadly I've been struggling on that front, so many "trainers" just seem to be out for your money and I do have limited budget. Going to see an agility class soon though and although I think we really need more basic training it will hopefully be good for us both.

Wish I knew more experienced dog people to walk with, but sadly don't know anyone I respect enough.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Probably pretty crappy a lot of the time but then I don't aim for perfection. I talk to her quite a bit at home but then she listens in the home so this isn't a problem, I rarely talk to her when we're out unless it's as part of training/recall/praise for doing as told etc. We have quite a good relationship I like to think, I'm always happy to take on board what people suggest so long as they're not rude about it. I don't find my training classes all that helpful for my handling skills to be honest but then I go there mainly to get her working round dogs so oh well, I will be going to a better, more expensive class in the future once I've got the beginner/slightly more advanced stuff down pat. I would like to walk with even more experienced doggy people so long as they're not barbed with their criticism, I find often it's hard to suggest things and not come across as nasty when it comes to other peoples handling skills.
This is so true. When you analyse your behaviour under the microscope and have others scrutinise you and how you handle your dog, it is really uncomfortable. BUT it will be better for both me and Mr T in the long run. And I don't mind being told off by Sleeping_Lion and LexiLou2, they are my friends and I get Flatcoat kisses after. ;)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Over the last few weeks, I have been to see Sleeping_Lion and LexiLou2 a fair bit for some training with the dogs.
Now, these sessions have been somewhat of an eye-opener to say the least. As a first-time (lone) dog owner (we had a family dog in the past, but I can't really count her), I was always aware that there are many things that I have yet to learn. But Sleeping_Lion and LexiLou2 pointed out so many things that happen in the every day life and the interactions between me and Terence, that once tweaked would have a HUGE (positive) impact on our relationship. And I missed most of these things.

After the first training session, we changed some things around at home and it's made a huge difference already. Now, he's not perfect (far from it), but it never occurred to me before to think about the everyday things and how they impact on his training. We haven't actually included any new exercises, but, for example, I stopped jabbering on at him when we are out walking, so he actually pays much more attention than he did previously. Yesterday, I got loads of ideas on how to improve my handling skills and it's got me thinking: How good do you think you actually are? Are you aware of how you interact with your dog every step of the way?
Ramble over. :eek:
I think my threat to fine you for every time you spoke to him when you didn't need to or recalled him and he didn't come worked wonders! ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
My handling skills are rubbish, and they feel even more rubbish after this morning's terrible walk with both dogs.:eek:

Lots to learn - am keeping on going to training every week with each dog in turn; booked in with behaviourist for next week; trying to do a bit of training every day ... but it's dispiriting sometimes.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
This is so true. When you analyse your behaviour under the microscope and have others scrutinise you and how you handle your dog, it is really uncomfortable. BUT it will be better for both me and Mr T in the long run. And I don't mind being told off by Sleeping_Lion and LexiLou2, they are my friends and I get Flatcoat kisses after. ;)
We also finish up with a glass of wine and some cake (or tea for the lightweights) so it's not all bad!

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I usually bring the cake, though. :yikes:

I am not saying, it is bad, but it's hard, especially when Mr T is 5 times as bad in the field with you as he normally is! :eek:
He was very good for me ;)

Your handling skills are no worse than mine when I first went to classes, so stop worrying. At least you know your left from your right unlike Lexilou2! :D Although on the down side you can't walk in a straight line, chuckle :D :D :D

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
We also finish up with a glass of wine and some cake (or tea for the lightweights) so it's not all bad!
Wish I could come - flatcoat kisses, wine and cake :D:D.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My handling skills are rubbish, and they feel even more rubbish after this morning's terrible walk with both dogs.:eek:

Lots to learn - am keeping on going to training every week with each dog in turn; booked in with behaviourist for next week; trying to do a bit of training every day ... but it's dispiriting sometimes.
Yes, totally.It is very frustrating! Considering how much effort and time I have invested in Terence, I feel like bursting into tears sometimes, when he just sticks two fingers up and you think: "What else do I need to do with this bl**dy dog!!!!"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He was very good for me ;)

Your handling skills are no worse than mine when I first went to classes, so stop worrying. At least you know your left from your right unlike Lexilou2! :D Although on the down side you can't walk in a straight line, chuckle :D :D :D
In a way, that's worse, if I'm honest. Because he knows what I want from him, but he is deciding not to do it. :001_unsure:

Wish I could come - flatcoat kisses, wine and cake :D:D.
We'll be expecting you when you come to pick up Rudi. :) ;)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
In a way, that's worse, if I'm honest. Because he knows what I want from him, but he is deciding not to do it. :001_unsure:
Not really, it means you've trained him so he knows what you want, he just chooses not to do it because your handling skills need a bit of work. That's absolutely no different to what I was like, and I bet what the majority of most dog owners are like, they get a dog, manage to teach the basics, and then find out they need to learn more. As I told you, I was there with my dogs, I've got that t-shirt, my dogs knew where heel was, but could I walk them at heel? Could I chuff, and yet hand them over to someone with good handling skills and they wouldn't put a paw wrong. You will get there, learning how to walk in a straight line might help, I wouldn't mind but we hadn't even opened the wine by that point! :eek:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Handling skills in what sense?

I know how to handle Louie, Sadie and Jack. But I'm still learning with Benj (although I can handle him to a certain extent in most situations) and with Pennie.

New dogs teach you new ways, there is no one size fits all when training dogs.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not really, it means you've trained him so he knows what you want, he just chooses not to do it because your handling skills need a bit of work. That's absolutely no different to what I was like, and I bet what the majority of most dog owners are like, they get a dog, manage to teach the basics, and then find out they need to learn more. As I told you, I was there with my dogs, I've got that t-shirt, my dogs knew where heel was, but could I walk them at heel? Could I chuff, and yet hand them over to someone with good handling skills and they wouldn't put a paw wrong. You will get there, learning how to walk in a straight line might help, I wouldn't mind but we hadn't even opened the wine by that point! :eek:
:lol: Well, all the fields I have picked out for this week are completely flat. ;)

And I doubt Indie EVER put a paw wrong. :p

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Handling skills in what sense?

I know how to handle Louie, Sadie and Jack. But I'm still learning with Benj (although I can handle him to a certain extent in most situations) and with Pennie.

New dogs teach you new ways, there is no one size fits all when training dogs.
No, you're right, there is no one size fits all. But a good handler would (should) be able to work around the dog's personality, if that makes any sense. For me and Terence, I know there is a problem, say "stubborn teenager", but then how do you work around it? That's what I meant. :eek:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.