Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How would you deal with this situation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jason25, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I was out walking daisy in the woods this morning she’s on her 10m flexi.

a jogger goes past with her young dog off lead which came over to say hello. Not that I’m fussed daisy loved it, both had a little play (jumping all over each other :Hilarious) anyway the woman is calling her dog back, to which he isn’t listening, so I’m trying to walk the other way, calling daisy and she’s not listening either.

In the end I kind of had to pull daisy a couple meters and then her dog listened to her and ran back and daisy listened to me and walked in my direction.

I’m a bit unsure about the pulling because the last thing I want to do is make her reactive to other dogs.

Is it okay to pull the lead? I don’t mean yanking it but slowly walking away, kind of forcing the dog to walk with you.

how would you handle that situation?

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I personally don't think you did anything wrong, although it is best to keep a loose lead when dogs are interacting so she may have ended up feeling a little restrained and trapped. You could have just waited until the jogger was far enough away that the dog went with her. Alternatively you could have encouraged Daisy to come with you by showing her a treat, but then you risk the other dog following you as well.

Jason25, Sarah H, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I sometimes find the really high-pitched recall voice works well in situations like that to get just your dog to move towards you with a loose lead. But then you do end up looking like a prat right in front of a stranger :Bag

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I probably would have called Daisy away before it got to the point of play. I don't mind dogs acknowledging each other or even a quick polite greeting, but not full on play. I mean, I do let my dogs play, but not in this context.
    One, Daisy was on a long line and leashed play (even a long leash) has the potential danger of entanglement which can lead to some pretty bad outcomes.
    Two, you're out walking Daisy, jogger is out jogging, neither of you intending to meet up and play. It's okay (and desirable) for dogs to learn context. If I'm out jogging with the dog, we're not stopping to play, if we're out walking we're not stopping to play. If we're at a social gathering, with dogs I know mine are compatible to play with, sure, have a little play session, but not when only one owner is fully engaged, and not with a dog who's play style and comparability with mine I don't know.
    Three, Daisy's recall isn't to the point where you can call her off play, therefore don't put her in a position where you're going to need to recall her and you know it won't work.

As for pulling her away, I don't think that was the end of the world. I probably would have walked up to both dogs, my proximity makes a distraction from the play, makes recall easier, and I can reward quicker. Walk up, encourage Daisy away, and if need be, pull her at that point. Added bonus, you're close by and if the pulling causes something to kick off, you're closer and more able to intervene quickly.

Kakite, caterpiller, Torin. and 5 others like this.
  5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I don't let my two play with other dogs, they can greet and have a sniff but that's it, Hector is often on his Flexi as his recall isn't the best, but he knows a little tug and the command 'come along' means it's time to move and come towards me, which works well and avoids the dreaded lock and drag on the lead reeling them in like a reluctant fish.

caterpiller, Jason25 and Sairy like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Of course it is all right to pull the lead, why on earth would it not be.

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think there's the worry that pulling her and her pulling against the leash makes a pronounced change in her body language and can lead to confrontations. Plus it will cause Daisy to stiffen too which may make her feel differently about the encounter.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I really cannot agree. No, never have a tight lead if the dog is aggressive or worried by other dogs but this was purely taking the dog in the other direction. A simple straight forward thing to do.

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh, I don't disagree with pulling Daisy away at all, was just trying to explain why someone might be worried about pulling a dog away from another dog.

Kakite and Torin. like this.
  10. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

That’s what we learned at our course and I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly. You get your dog to turn away from the “distraction”and walk towards you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice