Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how will you know when your puppy is fullly house trained?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by emilylp, Aug 8, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

if its us taking them outside to do there buisness how do you know when there ready to let us know when and not to do it in the house?

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Often they'll let you know by trying to get to the door. Or you need to be able to see the signs - like sniffing, hyperactivity, walking in circles etc

Eventually they'll be used to the routine - so they'll hold on till the normal times and probably won't display any need to go as they know at whatever o'clock you'll be taking them out.

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

until the clocks go back, then ya gotta start all over again lol.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I guess I just 'knew' when I could start trusting Dave to be out of his bed if I couldn't have 100% attention on him.
    Though I still made sure to let him out often.

I have read that a dog won't be 100% house trained until around a year, but again it depends on how good the owner is at teaching the dog.

If Dave needs to 'go' when he is out of his bed he will pace and whine. (he is nearly 7 months) he has not had an accident since he was about 4 months. If he is in his crate and he is desperate to go he will bark a few times. That is the only time I let him out for making noise, I taught him that when he was little.

x

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Molly just stands and stares at me then walks into the kitchen comes back and stares some more, she has only just started doing this and she is 12 months, she hasnt been the easiest dog to toilet train to say the least.:rolleyes:

6. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Gypsy will paw at the door and whine at me

Toff nudges my arm until I get up

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

This is what Finn does - though ive tested him making him wait for a few mins as he does like digging the garden up :D

8. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

The best things to do it teach your pup to ring a bell :)

This article is great... A Doorbell For Your Dog

Pups are not able to control their bladder/bowel until around 6 months of age, even then you can expect accidents right up to 12 months, it just depends on the pup.

This article should also help:

Successful Crate Training

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice