Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how will I know if they have fleas?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mini cactus, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mini cactus

mini cactus PetForums Junior

The lady we got Tyrone and frankie off said frankie has fleas. He has the same dad as Tyrone. The lady took Frankie to be with Tyrone and have been raised together. Only frankie had fleas and she said she flead the mother (Tyrones)

I'm now worried he may have them and the lady lied to me. I have babies in my house too so very worried now!

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That doesn't make much sense sorry :lol:

Fleas aren't the end of the world if you deal with them quickly. Speak to your vet about the best method. If you take them for a check up and register them, they will weigh the boys for you and can then give you the most accurate flea stuff that way. The stuff you buy from anywhere else just wont be up to the job ... well I never found them to be anyway. And in the process of using those products the problem escalated.

Get the decent stuff from the vets, like Frontline :)

Sorry I didn't answer the question! You will know soon enough if they have them as you will see them in their fur while fussing them (or worse, find one in your bra when taking your clothes off :eek:), but why wait? Best to get some treatment now before it becomes a problem.

#2 Aurelia, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  3. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

get some flea stuff from the vets for the cats and flea room spray for sofas beds ect you nomal tell if cats have fleas because they ich a lot or just part there fur and you can nomal see if they have them good luck

4. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

If you inspect their fur you will see fleas moving; if the fur is dark it might be more tricky, but a fine-toothed comb is a good alternative as it will catch fleas and flea eggs.

Don't worry too much about it, though. Fleas are a relatively minor nuisance these days, and bubonic plague is long distant!

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

If you run the comb over them especially at the back of the neck and base of the tail you will find them if they have got them.

A childrens nit comb from asda is all i used on Harley when he had them. Frontlined him on the night i found them and combed him morning and night for the next couple of days after. Handy to have a pint glass of water to hand aswell... if you comb one up that isn't dead just drop the comb into the glass for a bit and leave the flea in the water to drown.. least you know they're not jumping around then :D

6. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

if they have fleas chancers are they will have worms too. You can use frontline for the fleas, and panacure for worms. if you use a nit comb then get some wet cotton wool and clean it you should see little red specks, this is flea dirt. Do you have the kittens yet? if not i would suggest you go to the breeders with treatments and treat your two their. That way no Fleas will go in your home. If frankie has fleas Tyrone will too.

Its awful of the breeder to send a kitten to a new home with Fleas they seem in this for one thing only.... poor cats

#6 DKDREAM, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice