Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How,why and when did respect and trust go

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by haeveymolly, May 23, 2010.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

. . . . . . . I really dont know the answer, but it had made me think after seeing the threads on "better" times on at the moment, all i can say is that society seems so selfish and greedy but why has it? so many people want more and more and it doesnt matter how they get it, much more is put on a plate for them so values have gone, i find most of it hard to put into words what does everyone else think. No arguments just members views of society today and for the ones that remember when life wasnt so materialistic.

GillyR likes this.
  2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I believe the big mistake us older people made was to give our kids things we didn't have.In turn they gave more to their kids.How many times do you hear of young parents of today getting into debt so their kids can have what they want? I find it all very sad if i'm honest.:(

3. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

With you on this one, I know what you mean. My brother's kids are spoilt rotten. Their 14 year old boy will only wear designer clothes, including socks and their 16 year old daughter was going to her prom, wanted a £200 dress and then said "you are not taking me in that dump" that dump was my brother's 51 plate Citroen Picasso, which is a very nice vehicle. Good job I didn't offer to take her in my S reg volvo.

I don't have kids, so in a way I shouldn't judge but I am human and can see the mistakes they are making. Updgraded mobiles constantly too. It makes them hard to buy for, cos it's like nothing is good enough. I give up :(

4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Yeah good point Janice, I dont have a credit card so I dont get in debt and if I cant save then we dont have it. People expect more when given more and same go's for rights peeps think they have more rights then anyone else too.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes we all want the best for our children but i think its how its done i was born in 1962, was lucky and was brought up with i would say everything i could want, but never spoilt if i asked for anything when i was out i didnt get it.I remember coming home from school very put out as my friends had a telephone party line and was saying as kids do they had been listening in to someones conversations i couldnt we had our own telephone line i wasnt told it was because we could "afford" our own line that happened with so many different things and tbh i didnt know till i was quite an age that we was much,much better off than any of my school friends, yes i knew my dad had a car and many of them didnt but just thought that maybe their parents had never learned to drive, yes i knew our house was bigger but i just thought that was the type of house they wanted, because i was never brought up with the "look what we have", attitude, and thats stuck with me all through my life, it doesnt matter to me one bit what sort of house any one has what sort of car anyone has etc, its the person not their possesions

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

My children have never had everything they want & we've definitely never got into debt to buy them stuff, a lot of their (& our) clothes come from charity shops not just because we haven't got a lot of money but because I like being thrifty (I spent quite a few years being raised by my nan who was a firm believer in 'make do & mend', I just wish she taught me how to darn socks before she passed on) I get compliments on how well dressed my kids are & how polite they are & I'm proud of that.

7. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

im exactly the same :)

i was so proud of my 5 yr old son on friday when there were loads of children from 5 up to about 10 and he was the only one who said please and thank you every time and without being reminded :D

8. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Respect and Trust ran off with Good Manners and Common Sense when Permissive and Politically Correct joined forces with Greed, Stupidity and Materialistic and took over the country. Society as it is nowadays makes me yearn for a desert island more and more! :cool:

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My mum was born in the 50s and was brought up with the typical 'if you can' afford you you can't have it' attitude which she instilled in me from a very early age :) I was spoilt with affection but never with material things.

As a child I thought I had a strict upbringing (of course not going into what else happened as a child...) but now I realise that how she brought me up was the best thing for me :) I am polite, a hard worker, I dabbled with drugs when I was younger but I don't do anything like that now. I don't go drinking every weekend, I've only ever had one sexual partner etc.

A lot of people my age are on the 3rd or fourth kid, their 7th sexual partner, live off the state etc and generally have no morals.

Thank God my mum brought me up the way she has!!!

10. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

hmm - it is a want want want, society....

Too much pressure on everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice