How unscrupulous breeders try to dupe potential buyers (and often succeed).

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ouesi, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

What do you mean by "top breeder"? Breeding a lot and selling a lot of puppies does not necessarily equal ethical or responsible.

A breeder who spends the time and money to health test is going to want to make sure those tests are public.

Tizer and SingingWhippet like this.
  2. TennoAkita

TennoAkita PetForums Member

I specifically mean a breeder whose dogs are champions, whose dogs compete successfully around the world and breeds with other top kennels. Top having the same meaning.....

A mistake my end? Or something else?

3. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

What breed is it you're looking at? Not every single health test available for all breeds will currently show up on the KC Health Test Results Finder though usually the most vital ones will do. You can find a list of the health tests which the KC should hold results for (if they've been done) on the 'Health Information' page for each individual breed.

Just as an example, here is the list of the health tests available for Labradors which the KC will show results for if they've been done. However this page lists pretty much every health test currently available for Labs and as you can see there are many more DNA tests available than those listed on the KC site.

There are some breeds with DNA tests available, or recommended (by the breed club) screening schemes, which aren't recognised by the KC and so no results at all for those breeds will be available. In whippets, for example, heart testing is gradually becoming more common and there are a couple of DNA tests available however none of those are recognised by the KC and so even if they've been done no results will show up on the KC site.

Of course many breeders who compete successfully don't necessarily do all (or even any) of the relevant health tests for their breed. If you're looking at a breed which has health tests the KC will record the results of and there's nothing there then it's highly likely they're just not doing them.

It's also important to remember that health testing alone isn't the be all and end all of breeding healthy dogs or the only indication of how good a breeder is. Of course any decent breeder will be utilising the screening schemes and DNA tests available to them but there are other things they should be doing as well to stack the odds as far as possible in favour of the pups they breed being healthy. The Institute of Canine Biology blog has lots of excellent information about breeding for health and I'd particularly recommend these two articles to start with:

Understanding the Coefficient of Inbreeding

Why DNA Tests Won't Make Dogs Healthier

#43 SingingWhippet, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Tizer likes this.
  4. TennoAkita

I’m looking at Akitas

5. SingingWhippet

In that case the only recommended health tests for them are hip scoring and eye testing, both of which should show up on the KC site if they're being done. A quick look at Champdogs suggests eye testing isn't done as often as hip scoring though there are some breeders listed who do both.

6. Tizer

Tizer PetForums Newbie

Without test certificates proving health checks (obviously hoping they are not forgeries) reputable breeders would want health checks on the KC health website, unless the health checks are not that good eg HD scores

7. TennoAkita

Could I be doing something wrong? I’m putting in the kennel names for a big ch of different breeders dogs to be sure and I’m getting no results

8. SingingWhippet

Are you just searching for the kennel names? You need to search for individual dogs.

For example if I search for this dog I found on Champdogs then his hip score results show up when I search for him on the Health Test Results Finder.

If you are looking for individual dogs are the breeders saying they are health tested?

9. TennoAkita

Yes I am searching individual dogs by their kennel names. All the breeders I’ve looked at say their dogs are health tested for hips eyes and thyroid.

10. TennoAkita

11. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I've checked to and you're right, no health tests on the KC site. Also checked the dam of the dog shown and she is listed on the KC site but no health tests have been either submitted or done

12. SingingWhippet

I've found him ok and there is a record of his hip scoring which matches what's on Champdogs.

The spelling needs to be exact and in that dog's case you need the apostrophe and the 's' after the affix.

So "Nosferatu's Kickin Up A Storm" will bring up results but "Nosferatu Kickin Up A Storm" won't.

13. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Ah, that's where I went wrong:D

14. Biffo

Biffo PetForums Senior

Crufts is only a few weeks away now, if the breeder you're interested in is a show breeder they will more than likely be showing at Crufts. Its a great opportunity to see them with their dogs if you can make it along. We did this a few years ago and we're so glad we did. The breeder we had liked 'on paper' so to speak was not someone I would buy a dog from. We ended up going to a breeder we picked because her relationship with her dogs was wonderful, the dogs were happy and relaxed, happy to interact with strangers (important for us as wanted an easier going RBT than our current one) and most of all they adored their owner (the breeder).

It's also possible the breeder will ask you along to visit before they have puppies, so you'll be able to have a chat and meet the adult dogs and see all the appropriate health certificates.

15. TennoAkita

I figured it was something I was doing wrong.

However I am not getting any results with other breeders dogs. I’ll keep trying.

16. TennoAkita

All in hand :)