Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How unscrupulous breeders try to dupe potential buyers (and often succeed).

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ouesi, Sep 10, 2016.

1. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

We came across something on Fb recently. A buyer had bought a Rottie pup and came in to one of our groups on FB. Naturally we were all excited to see a new puppy, who was gorgeous, someone asked what the breeding was, the pedigree was photographed and shown - the "breeder" had used the name of two stud dogs who had previously died. Had used the stud book numbers etc. etc. and to anyone unsuspecting, it all looked genuine. The breeder made all the right noises into contracts, returning the dog for any reason etc. so the buyer had been well and truly duped. The pedigree was false. When it was spotted, funnily enough, the breeder couldn't be traced....

So, check pedigrees thoroughly and ask questions. This "breeder" has been doing this for years and years apparently. Grrrrr.

MiffyMoo and ouesi like this.
  2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

It amazes me the effort charlatan breeders will go to in an attempt to dupe buyers. It’s so much work, you’d think it would be easier to just do the right thing to begin with!

MiffyMoo likes this.
  3. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

While people are stupid enough to buy a puppy on-line and pick there puppy up from some stranger on a carpark, they will keep getting away with it.

Most us on here know the right way to buy a puppy is to find a good breeder, go and see the puppy with it's Mom and siblings more than once if they are near enough to get there, and never buy a puppy without seeing it close to it's Mom, and not if they are if different rooms.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

This thread is about setting the bar higher than “at least it’s not a puppy farm”.
    We’re talking about educated buyers who know to ask for health checks and proper paperwork, but may not know how easily those papers can be faked.

Beth-and-co, MiffyMoo and Pappychi like this.
  5. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

:oops: so very sorry.

6. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Ah but, the paperwork can be copied over and over, if people don't show their dogs, or want to show their dog, how would they ever know about this scam? If it's being done in the Rottie world you can bet your bottom dollar other unscrupulous people are doing it to. In all honesty the puppy buyer thought they were buying a really good, nicely bred pup. They'd done some research (not enough obviously) but they hadn't just gone out blind so to speak, they looked for health tests etc. and were shown results....all fake. Trading standards are involved now I believe, but that's just one pup in thousands...

ouesi likes this.
  7. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

I'm sure I remember a few years back that someone bought a puppy and got the pedigree etc. All looked well. Until puppy's new owner came onto a forum to discover that both the sire and the dam were two deceased male dogs of an entirely different breed which the 'breeder' had lifted from some website.

In the UK we have some interesting new registries, dog lovers registry being one of them, I recall a breeder managing to register a goat as a 'Romanian Coarse-Haired Hoof Herder' they sent her the paperwork and everything! :Hilarious

simplysardonic and MiffyMoo like this.
  8. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

9. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

10. spamvicious

I haven't got a scanner, I took a picture but its very faint writing. So here's the jist of it. (Apologies for the tea stain in the corner, my niece knocked a cup over the binder). I also only have results for the Sire, nothing for Dam.

Sample ID: 1509-W-28555
    Result Date: 22/09/2015

Name: Mr Sunshines Golden Parade (ARI) Bobby Junior
    Microchip number: 900200000212826
    Breed: Miniature Poodle
    Sex: Male
    KC Reg: AR00971006

Sample Material: SWAB
    Sample Date: 11/09/2015

Test: PRA

Result (Clear)
    Other text here.

Attached Files:

11. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

I don't know why the results aren't published. The KC service is such a useful tool for checking the veracity of breeders claims.
    I would have a niggling doubt that the tests haven't been carried out.
    Is pupster a cavalier or cocker X poodle?

12. spamvicious

Cocker x Poodle

13. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

I am silly! Of course, Little Cutie Brownie is a cocker.
    Did the breeder say that LCB is health tested? I would be expecting those results to show on myKC.
    However, I know nothing about Cockers or Poodles or CP mixes :confused:

14. Alpha vs beta

Alpha vs beta Banned

The extent people will go to amazes me! I don't see why they do stuff like that. For more money of course but it's just silly

15. Scousewife

Scousewife PetForums Newbie

Great post, thanks o/p & all contributors.
    Thank you for educating me, now I know what I need to look for.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  16. TennoAkita

TennoAkita PetForums Member

Wow great post!

Whilst we aren't ready for another pup just yet. I wouldn't have known of the ability to check we were being told the right info.

So I can check hip scores via the OFA.

What other tests can I check up on via them or any other organisation? Eye tests etc? What about breed specific tests?

I would've just gone on the breeders word up until now. And I kinda did when we got Kuma all those years ago.

I've sent out a few emails to breeders but they either don't check them or choose to ignore them. Despite asking to be contacted if we are interested in their pups from future matings.

17. Tizer

Tizer PetForums Newbie

18. TennoAkita

What if a dog isn’t on the KC health check?

19. Tizer

Tizer PetForums Newbie

Then it’s probably not had any health checks as owners after paying for tests would be anxious to have them on the kc website, especially breeders

20. TennoAkita

Even if they are a top breeder?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice