Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to transport dogs places on a bike?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lil Doglets, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I'd really love some ideas on ways of transporting dogs on a pushbike :p

I can't drive and live in a town so pretty much every walk is to the only park near to me unless i can get a lift to somewhere nice which doesn't happen very often :( it is a lovely park and sooo huge with nice variety but i'd just love to be able to take them other places and since they are so small i was thinking there must be a way i could safely transport them using a bike!

So, does anyone else ever do this? and how?
    The ways i can think of is either
    secured safely in a front basket - not too sure about this one as it'd probably be too small for them both and i'd be scared of them trying to hop out!
    or get a soft travel crate and attach it to those rack things you can put on the back of the bike above the back wheel - this seems far safer as they are in a crate and it'd probably be sturdier
    orrrr one of those little carriage things people have their kids in pulling along behind the bike - but i'm not sure if you can get enclosed ones? or they could be inside a travel crate in the trailer.
    i couldn't trust putting them inside my coat/backpack , they would hate it and probably keep wriggling about which is dangerous

But i'm determined to find a way now! am getting all excited thinking of all the lovely places i could take them if i can get it to work :D

2. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

How about something like this?

From here. It is quite expensive though.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That is what I was going to suggest, but you can get them for children up to about 3 years old and you can two kids in. May be cheaper than a specific dog one.

4. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

5. Lil Doglets

Ooooooooh wow! that's awesome lol but like you say is quite expensive! there might be a cheaper option from somewhere though, shall have to do some browsing me tinks :)

any more ideas anyone? :D

6. Lil Doglets

There's quite afew for like £50 that look pretty good , shall keep that in mind :) thank you

7. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I want one! I cycle with my dogs running alongside on the canal towpath, but Ziggy's getting older and can't go as far as Kite wants to. I could stick her in there for a rest.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

What scares me is that cyclists ride around Cambridge with these things attached and a couple of kids inside; I've even seen a young baby in one. I think it is far too busy and too much traffic for that situation. It only has to get touched by a car and it will go over, and god knows what would happen if a lorry caught one.

They are fine for out of town for you want though.

10. peds

peds PetForums Member

I sometimes see a man and woman cycling around town with this setup on the back of one of their bikes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...with a medium-sized white hairy thing sat in the basket, on a towel.

11. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

I would love one of them! However I wouldn't think any of these things would be secure enough if you're planning on riding on the road. I would only recommend them for park/off road use.

12. Lil Doglets

I just thought aswell it'd make me feel alot less worried about if they ever needed to be rushed to the vet and nobody was able to drive me, better than trying to run carrying an injured dog!

But like you say newfiesmum , i'd be very careful if they was in a trailer, i only take them out at quiet times anyway so there'd be no traffic really and it's only about 5-10 mins til your out of the town and in quiet countryside :) i'd have to keep looking back every 5 seconds to make sure they was still there aswell lol :eek:

I can't wait now hehe already planning all the places i want to take them! i can't believe i never thought of it before :confused:

13. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I cycle daily with three dogs. I've got a small basket on the front for my JRT on longer journeys but she seldom uses it because she prefers to run. I use a short double ended lead to clip her into the basket and she's never tried to jump out. I've got a double kids trailer which has a cover that I use for taking them to the vet in.

You can get a dog carrier basket for bicycles with a cage top so they can't jump out. You can get them for the front and rear of the bike so they could have one each if one is not big enough for them both :)

With training it is easy to get them to run along side you on the bike and having the dogs with you means you keep a steady pace. Mine are brilliant running with the bike and don't go into my wheels. We know 'left left' to turn left,'this way' to turn right, 'get in' to got up onto the pavement, 'steady' to slow down, 'go go go' to run at full speed and too many more to list here.

Did you know that you can take your bike, trailer & dogs on the train for free? You only pay for a standard adult ticket :)

14. Lil Doglets

Thank you very much for that ! is very helpful and reassuring :)
    I don't suppose you could try find an example of the cage top baskets for front and back?
    I'd be too scared to go on the train with all that lot :eek: :blush: i hate trains as it is! but there's still lots of nice places i could go within cycling distance :)

15. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Front mounted carrier

rear mounted dog carrier with cage

here you go :)

Edit, I would like to add that I have been cycling with dogs for over 20 years. I cycle on the road, on cycle tracks, in parks and anywhere else you could think of with my dogs. Only once has one of them got injured and that was when a kid kicked a football into the road so they shied away from the ball and I ran over his paw. It was a very minor injury (friction burn). I am never hassled by the police or any other authority figures for doing what I do. In fact I have been complimented by several police and community wardens for how well trained the dogs are.

#15 metaldog, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  16. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I've seen these that go on the front and back of the bike - if you didn't want a trailer you could have one on the front and one on the back...

Biker Bag at Canine Concepts

Deluxe Bicycle Front-Box Dog Carrier at Canine Concepts

I think it might make the bike heavy though - but much much lighter than people who cycle with their kids and shopping on their bikes...I'm just not very good with bikes in general...:eek:

Definitely an idea for getting out and about or to the vets though.

Naomi x

17. Lil Doglets

Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions! :D
    I never even knew all these things existed! :eek: I'm really liking the idea of the front and rear mounted ones , seems a bit safer than trailing behind especially if on roads.
    I think i'd go for the enclosed ones just to be safe , i like the look of those fabric black ones with the meshy bits especially , and reasonable price too!

That 'Marsupack' made me laugh :lol:

18. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

These things are very common here and I see lots of dogs in them'..

One extra word of caution , training...The dogs need time to get used to them and not to think they can jump out everytime you stop.. Also for safety make sure they are secured into the carrier so they cant jump or fall out while travelling..

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice