Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to transport are little girl

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Today I went to a huge garden greenhouse and while there did see a few people with much older dogs walking around so was like yes another place to take the puppy!

But our puppy is really small or I believe she will be when we get her Shih tzu and Maltese cross. So was thinking I dont want to carry her around the place (its huge), Id also be worried if I had her on a short leash that someone might accidently step on her.

So an idea came to me to use one of our cat carriers that is hard plastic and to put a blankets and wee pad in it. Put her in there and put in the top part of the cart while we browse around. I thought this could be a safe place to put her in case its busy or when I go through the cash out as I wont have to juggle a puppy, cart and people.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I would go with carrying her unvaccinated and walking when vaccinated so that she gets used to people coming up to her, stroking her, interacting with her etc etc. I carried my pup but it was difficult as he was 11kg when we got him, so my husband and I had to swap him between us constantly; it was worth it though!!

I would be concerned in a cat carrier that the puppy wouldn't get the interaction and experiences to their full advantage. Just my view though as I have never had a tiny pup.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I carried Lilly my maltese x sahi tzu. That way she was able to see, smell and interact with the world before her vacinations.
    After her vacinations she walked - I only picked her up if there was a real risk of her being stood on.
    You could take the cat carrier but obly use it when you are ready to go through the check out. Or is it possible to take the top off the carrier so she can sit in it but still be open to the world giving her the oportunity to still see the world?

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

What about one of those baby slings? I imagine they are quite strong and she will be able to see what is going on.

5. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

6. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

I'd carry her until her vaccinations kick in, and then do a mixture of walking/carrying her until she's fully grown. We carried Pixel everywhere up until about a month ago where he now walks/we use transport a bit more (where the other half finally said no when he hit the 7.5kg mark :eek: - so I take my hat off to you Dogless), however what I would say is to try not to worry too much about her being stood on.

People do look out for stuff like leads, and if they see one then they'll usually watch out for a dog on the floor. I saw a dog yesterday in a carry case that the owners pushed around (a shi tzu), and the dog was begging to walk on the floor- it really wasn't happy, and I didn't blame it: it was being dragged around a shopping centre with loads of interesting sights plus smells in a box. Small dogs are exactly the same as big dogs, they have four paws, and they like to use them: as a puppy I doubt she'd sit still in a cat carrier voluntarily, and would much rather be walking to explore the sights and sounds.

Obviously, stick to the 5 minutes per month rule and pick her up after a while, but I'd vote for the walking.

7. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

She will be vaccinated when we get her so no issues there, this is why Im not a fan of tiny pups.

Im probably just basing this on how she is now, who knows she might get a growth spurt before we get her, been told she is a pig when it comes to meals.

Yup I did think about just having the bottom of the carrier as it can be taken apart.

I didnt think of that, gonna check that out.

I would treat a small dog just like a big dog, I dont like small dogs in purses. Its just right now she fits in just one hand, which is what has me a little worried in regrades to taking her out.

I think Ill bring the carrier incase I need to put her some where safely if it gets busy.

Ive never really understood the five minute rule :confused:

I saw one at the pet store the other day, isnt bulky tho?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice