Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to train my dog not to pick up/ eat sticks outside

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by chillithecorgi, Feb 23, 2021.

1. chillithecorgi

chillithecorgi PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have been doing the leave it/ drop it trainings at home, i.e. leaving high-value treats like dental sticks/ rabbit ears on the ground, and my dog is doing really well for leaving them.

However, whenever we are out in the park, she will pick up sticks and eat them, and I end up chasing after her in the park/ watching her swallows the whole stick.

What should I do please help

Many thanks

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

:Yuck
    I’ve got a stick eater too! I do swaps for high value treats. Works so well that my other dog has started picking up sticks so she can swap it for a treat too :rolleyes: I find it hard to anticipate when he will choose to pick up a stick or he sees it before me, so ‘leave it’ doesn’t really work.

Sarah H likes this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As @McKenzie, leave is ok if you see the item before your dog does.

I would start training with sticks (safely) at home, if these are the specific issue.

Do ‘fetch’ and swap for something really good.

It can be done; mine brought me a rabbit carcass the other day (yuk) without being asked. But it does take time.

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

You really need to do whatever you can to stop this. Vets will tell you that sticks cause lots of injuries in dogs - splinters in gums cause abscesses; splinters in the oesophagus or stomach can be even worse; lumps can get stuck in the throat. If necessary I’d keep her on a long lead, so you have some control until you can get it sorted.

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice