Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to train "Here!" correctly?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mjjwatson, Apr 29, 2011.

1. mjjwatson

mjjwatson PetForums Newbie

Hi all!

So I posted on here back when my dog was about a third of the size she is now. It seems like ages ago! Now she's 8 months, and has had 2 months or so of being off the lead in parks and having a good old run around.

I suppose this is a well treaded problem. To begin with she was still apprehensive about the whole world, and wouldn't stray too far from me, and she would come every time I say "here!". I thought she was a model dog! The past week or so, and I'm guessing this is associated with adolescence, she has started ignoring me.

She'd prefer to be sniffing the grass or mooching around than coming to me. And often if I go to get her, she'll run off a little bit. She doesn't stray off that far, she just doesn't want to come to me. Problem is, she prefers to be snooping around in the grass and flowers than have a treat, so I don't know how to get her!

At home and in the garden she's perfect still, coming to me every time. But in the park she just doesn't care. I've tried bringing carrots (which she adores!) and special fishy treats, but nothing seems to interest her enough to get her attention.

Is this just a phase? What is the best course of action for when she starts ignoring me? Tips would be super super appreciated!

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Try running in the opposite direction to her & call her then. One of my dogs has started having selective recall so we do this, we also hide from her which has started making her wait for us & take notice of where we are.

Maybe try taking a squeaky toy out with you, try & encourage her to be interested in it by playing with it your self but don't let her have it - it may make it extra special for her.

When you start practising make sure it will be when she will definitely come to you (little dsiatractions) the gradually build upt to where there are more distractions around.

You need to make yourself more interesting as well to grab her attention, I can sound like a complete mentalist when trying to grab Roxy's attention but it does work :D

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As Cleo said. Try lying down on the ground too. You'll feel like an idiot but the dog will be too curious not to come to you :D

What treats are you using? You need to use something really high value. I use Primula squeezy cheese and don't use it for anything else, just recall so it's extra special.

Also when I was training I didn't call her unless I knew she was likely to come. I.e. if she was stuck into sniffing a tree and I knew she would be deaf to me, I would go and get her rather than calling and having her ignore me, but if she was looking like she was about to come anyway, then I'd call her. Trying to aim for a high success rate.

It's very normal at this age though! Maybe keep her on a long line until her recall is back?

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Agree; we have a squeaky toy just for walks, plus I will only call Kilo back once, if he hesitates I turn my back and walk in the opposite direction.

If it is a high distraction environment I find that crouching down and clapping my hands works a treat too.

Finally I call Kilo back loads of times during a walk, get him to sit, treat him whilst holding his collar then release him to 'go on then' so he doesn't associate returning to me with his fun ending.

5. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

lexie is a beagle and although her recall isnt too bad as beagles go (well some beagles) she can still be easily distracted by anything and everything so i was told the key is to make yourself more interesting than anything else-make your voice high pitched, stand "big"-like arms out so that she can see you, dance about and finally the run in the opposite direction is always the klincher. no amount of treats will distract lexie when she is in the zone so when out walking with her offlead i leave my dignity at home and prepare to act like an eejit!!!

and as your dog is 8mths (what breed?) it is probably pushing boundaries to see what it can get away with-so be firm with everything not just your recall

6. mjjwatson

Thanks for all the replies.

She's half jack russell half bichon frise. I will try cheese next time we go out. She loves cheese more than anything. And I'll try a few of these ideas out. Running in the opposite direction works great, she often makes chase. Well, sometimes.

I'll let you know how I'm getting on :)

7. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

Sorrel loves chicken so I always have some in my bumbag when we go out and give her some before I let her off the lead so she knows what I have as a treat. Mind you, once her nose gets engaged, or if there are other dogs about it is hard to distract her.

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It is a stage, the once clingy dependant pup, has now become a teenager, and is beginning to assert her freedom, its pretty classic and although irritating its normal.

Trouble is the more she learns to avoid you and keep out of reach the more she is going to do it and the harder it will be to get her back on track when the silly stage is over.

First off do you get there, let her off and dont recall/try to get her until the end when its time for lead on and home? If so that can cause a problem, they get wise to it and know it means end of funs coming so scarper.
    Also if you chase after her every time it becomes a game of catch me if you can too, they begin to enjoy it so its sort of rewarded too.

Personally I would start retraining recall, dont know how much you did previously, but while trying it I would keep her on a long line for the time being. If shes unspayed and hasnt had a season yet that could be brewing too and that wont be helping the situation either.

Dont know what treats you usually use but if you havent tried them, cheese,chicken,hot dogs,sausages,anything liver based, and the cheese spread in the tubes usually pretty good too. If shes got deaf to calling and her name, you could try a new tact with a whistle.

Start indoors walking around and every time you whistle give a treat, she should follow you, do this for a few separate sessions. Then use the whistle and treat to call her in from the back garden.

Next use it outside on a long line, Call her back periodically throughout the walk, treat her then send off with go play (this teaches that being called doesnt mean going home and end of fun, so keeps them guessing) Sometimes when you call her throw a ball a few times, then the go play to do as she wants, other times call and run in the opposite direction, (A game of chase me not catch me if you can with you in control this time) Other times you can
    hide and whistle her, rewarding with a treat or game off tug when she finds you. Keep it varied and interesting, and keep her guessing what she is going to be rewarded with when she comes, she is more likely to come in anticipation. Sometimes you can do a bit of heel work on a shorter lead, before sending away again with the go play. (another way to keep her guessing as it will teach short lead doesnt mean walk end either)

If two of you go out anytime, you can each have a toy,ball and treats, calling her between you, another game and way to keep her interest in coming back.

Once you can see an improvement, on the long line, you can then drop it and use it as a drag line, that way you still have control if she does start to wander and doesnt recall straight away. Eventually she should be able to go off again, but with a recall in place.

Doing things this way keeps focus on you and makes you that bit more interesting. You can also use things like squeaky toys to play with as a reward for some on the times.

Hope this might give you some ideas and help.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would call her back frequently during the walk when she is not distracted and make a big fuss of her and let her carry on again. Do not attempt a recall when she is too distracted as she will just learn to disobey. Toffee is 8 months and getting more independent. The other day she was running all over the place after birds, there was no point in calling her so I left her to run until she took her attention off the birds for a moment and then I called her. She came immediately, got a fuss and was sent on her way to run and play again.

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We call ours back every so often during walks, and use cheese (only used for recall), as smoetimes she's asked to stay "close", put on lead, or released for play again. There are some small dog aggressive dogs where we walk, so the need for a good recall is important. Otherwise she gets a trailing lead on her harness. We only call her back once, then change direction if she doesn't come, and call "this way!".

11. mjjwatson

Okay progress report!

Been to the park twice now, yesterday and today, armed with cheese. She's been brilliant. Today she came back 100% of the time when I said "Here" the first time.

I've also been extra careful. Letting her off in the middle of the grass, so there aren't trees, daffodils, dog poo, all the kind of fun things to distract her. I've made a massive fuss and given her some cheese every time. Looks like it's working.

I think I may have made the overconfident mistake, where she was great to begin with on the grass, so I thought she was brilliant at recall, then went too fast, expecting her to come when she was in wooded areas, around dogs, other humans etc. I'm kinda back to basics, but was very happy with her today, every time I said "here" she ran to me soooo fast and so excited. Good news :)

I'll try and get her to recall when there's more distractions over the coming week, and let you know how it's going.

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

:thumbup: Great!

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Well done :) Glad to hear of some progress :) We use "come" rather than "here", but everyone seems to use different commands :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice