Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to train a puppy having a good pee/poo habit?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Coco&Ruby, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Coco&Ruby

Coco&Ruby PetForums Newbie

Recently, I adopt a corgi about 4 months old. He eats much food so he has so much poo and pee, but I have to leave for work. I have walked him in the morning, but every night I go went back home and open the doors, the odour floods into my nose and let me lose the confidence to turn on the light. I have another dog (I adopted him when he was 2 years old), he can go to the bathroom and pee/poo on the puppy pad. How to train my puppy to form a good habit? Should I buy some dog diapers?

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

How did you train your first dog to use the puppy pads?
    I don't see how using puppy pads or using a diaper stop the odour. Your pup can't be expected to not toilet when left alone for hours.
    Is it possible to have someone call in to walk them or let them out in the yard?

3. Coco&Ruby

Coco&Ruby PetForums Newbie

My first dog (Coco) was trained by my friend before I adopted it. He told me that the little Coco was locked up in the bathroom since it came home on the first day. And he unfolded puppy pads on the floor of bathroom and taught Coco to pee/poo on pads. As he was during his holidays, he could stay at home and teach Coco patiently. He visited Coco several times a day and wiped the faeces that were out of the pads with toilet paper and put them on the puppy pads. Gradually, Coco knew pads are his true 'toilet' after about one week.
    However, during this training process, the puppy might bark all the days, which might influence your neighbours, especially if you have to go to work.
    I live alone in a flat and also concern about this problem, so I didn't lock up the little puppy in the toilet and he can play with Coco.
    Using puppy pads indeed could leave the odour to some extent, so it's necessary to ventilate the bathroom or use odour remover.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice