Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to train 3 different aged dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Spidermonkey, May 12, 2010.

1. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

could do with a bit of advice with our three dogs.
    The dogs:
    Heskey (2 1/2 yr old male lab), Tank (3-4yr old male cross lab) & Kira (7mth old female staffy).

The issues:
    Heskey - very excitable, giddy, pulls on lead.
    Tank - barks alot (when people at door, when left outside, when excited...), and pulls on lead.
    Kira - not really getting the idea of toileting outside, pulls on lead, overly excited, barks a lot.

What is the easiest/best way to sort all three out? i', guessing we will ave to walk them individually to sort out the pulling, and continue with letting Kira out every hr and praising her until she gets the idea. But what is the best way to calm them down and stop them barking so much?

any advice welcome.

Thanks

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi spidermonkey!! my suggestions would be:

- spend time to train them all individually, but also some time together, as they also need to know how to behave when around each other.
    - nice walking on lead - my favoured approach is to literally just stop dead in my tracks if they pull and then make kissy noises etc and encourage back to my side then walk on. praise praise praise when they walk nicely and treat lots at the beginning and then intermittently when they get the idea. if they are being really stubborn, i take a few steps backwards until they come back towards me and then when they reach me walk on and do the same as the above when walking nicely. this takes a while at first and is a bit tiresome, but it works in the end! if you have to go places where you dont have time to keep stopping and starting, then i would use a no-pull harness such as a front clipping halti harness to stop them from practicing the bad behaviour in between training sessions. http://petcentralpawsitivepetcare.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/new-leash-on-life-calm-for-walkies/
    - toilet training - yes let her out every 30 mins or so and ALWAYS accompany her then praise like mad when she does go. then perhaps play a little game out there too. just keep doing this, be consistent and she will get it in the end. if she has an accident inside, dont tell her off as all this does is teach her not to do it in front of you. interrupt it if you can and get her outside then praise when she finishes out there or if you are too late, just ignore it and clean it up.
    - barking - if they already are quite bad about barking, then I would train them to bark on cue and then at the same time teach 'enough' or 'quiet', so then when they do start, you have a cue which tells them to stop. Exercise 3 to teach 'speak' and 'shush': http://petcentralpawsitivepetcare.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/day-19-tuesday-19th-jan-2010/
    - excitable behaviour - i train a 'settle' cue to get them to be calm but also play 'go wild and freeze' or same game different name 'jazz up and settle down' - which is basically where you go mad and play with a tuggy etc and then after a few seconds stop and go dead still and say 'freeze' or 'enough' etc and they will stop and go calm and quiet waiting for you...then to reward you play again and go wild and then 'freeze' again. it helps teach self-control and then 'freeze' can be used in other circumstances too once they have learnt it.
    Teaching 'Settle' and 'Jazz Up & Settle Down' Game: http://www.petforums.co.uk/1489719-post20.html

Loads of great tips in this series too about calming crazy dogs :) http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-trai...rrraaaaaazzzzzzzy-canine-new-blog-series.html

#2 katiefranke, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    Colliepoodle likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice