Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to tell if pregnant....

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Kittenfostermummy, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

I currently have a lodger of a kitten only about 8-10months old maximum who was playing in traffic on Saturday night. A kind lady rescued her and she came to me yesterday.

After checking that she is a she (it was thought she was a he) I am now a little concerned about how rotund she is.

At the moment I can't see/feel any movements BUT her nipples are very large. They are not filled with milk but the actual nipple is long if that make sense?

Both my females were neutered young and their nipples are mere dots so is this a good way to assume she is in fact pregnant?!!? Poor baby if she is!!!

I will be taking her to work on Wednesday to get her scanned and also so she can go on to a rescue that we work with who contacted me about her yesterday if she isn't chipped.

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Do the teats look a Rose colour or are they pale (white).

3. Kittenfostermummy

Not too sure as she isn't too amenable to me having a root around and look! Will try to look better later.

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

ok, I would guess 2 things with a round tummy, worms or pregnancy.

5. Kittenfostermummy

Yeah they were my two thoughts, there we no signs of worms in her stool this morning. Poor baby not really eating though as she too nervous at the moment I have given her the choice of wet or dry but she is having none of it! I will keep a close eye on her though. I have given her the name Sprite as I can't stand having an animal here with no name!! xxx

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's rare to see worms in a cat's stool. When you have her at the vet she can safely have Milbemax even if she's pregnant, it treats all UK worms. The vet can probably diagnose pregnancy by palpation when she is at the vets.

7. Kittenfostermummy

Yeah if I don't find her home before Weds morning then she will be having a full once over in work. The nipples are pink pink but then they are not white either!? Oh well I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens... I keep telling myself I MUST NOT fall in love!!! I CAN NOT afford more food/insurance!!! Weds can't come soon enough for my resolve!!!

8. OrientalSlave

You can't in all honesty rehome her without telling the new home she may well be pregnant. :( I imagine she is adorable, if she is pregnant you need to ring round all your local rescues to see if a foster home can be found - or if they will supply food & litter if you foster her through what's left of her pregnancy and raising the kittens.

9. Kittenfostermummy

If she is not chipped then she will be going to a local rescue we as a vets work closely with and I have already warned the owner of the rescue that she MAY well be harbouring little ones! Only time will tell but I will let you know what happens Weds :)

10. Kittenfostermummy

Her tummy is deffo bigger today so I'm very suspicious!! However she seems to almost be acting as if she is in heat or atleast I am hoping that is the case and it's not early labour!!! She is purring like a trouper rolling onto her side and scratching the carpet up!! She is going to work tomorrow so I will check for a chip and if she isn't chipped we will probably run the ultrasound over her to know one way or another.

11. OrientalSlave

Its not unknown for cats in late pregnancy to behave like they are calling. if she is pregnant and expanding that fast you might be able to feel movement if you gently rest your hand on her tum. It can feel like a faint flutter.

12. Kittenfostermummy

Sadly she won't let me feel her belly she still hisses if I try to touch her other than stroking her and when I do try to lay my hands on her belly she tries to gently bite my hand to say NO.

I will update this thread later tonight when I am home from work and let you all know the results as to if she is chipped and if she is pregnant or not. If she is pregnant I would have liked to foster her BUT sadly I am having knee surgery at the end of the month and so it just isn't possible :(

13. Kittenfostermummy

So I doubt you will be surprised to hear that she was not chipped and IS pregnant!! Poor baby :( She has gone on to a lovely foster whom she will stay with until her babies are old enough and she is spayed/vaccinated before rehoming.

14. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Thank you for the update, poor girl.
    Do you know roughly how far along she is.

15. Kittenfostermummy

Far enough for the vet to easily palpate kittens but not far enough for her teats to be full of milk. She is deffo getting bigger each day and I noticed a big change in her mon-tues in size. We didn'y bother scanning her to get a clearer idea as she was a bit stressy and as it was clear she was pregnant we didn't want to stress her out any further.

16. leighg123

leighg123 PetForums Newbie

When my cat first had her litter her belly was swollen and teats were big and pink X has sshe got a new home x:D

17. OrientalSlave

It varies a bit but once you can feel movement they are usually in the last 2 weeks. It can be very faint, like a little flutter under your hand. Some cats look smaller a day or two before delivery as the kittens 'drop'.

18. Kittenfostermummy

Well I was right, she had four little kittens yesterday on Valentines day at the rescue. All are doing well xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice