Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to tell a prospective buyer they cannot have a puppy..

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lucy1012, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

I think I have found 8 of my puppies good homes, I am currently discussing with a 9th so going well.

I had a call from someone yesterday about the remaing puppy, but he is buying the puppy for his child, I have tried to tell him that Ridgebacks are not childrens dogs, by 10 weeks they will be the size of a springer spaniel. If you do not think a home is suitable for one of your puppies, how do you politely trell them no?? I am a bit soft when it comes to telling people No. lol

2. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

No experience but can you just say you do have another interested party? Kinda passes the buck a bit and doesn't explain why tho.

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Just tell them outright that you wont be homing any of your pups to homes with young children.

4. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

I had similar when I had my last lot of pups and in the end I just sent them an email and never heard from them again. You have made no promises to them so don't worry about it.

5. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I had a couple of people wanting Skye's pups as just pets, I politely told them that they were very 'drivey' pups and needed a job to do (agility, obedience, flyball, etc). I had 1 lady that I talked to on the phone for quite a while and I think in the end she realised she wasn't going to be able to give the pup the work that she required, I haven't heard from her again. All the pups have now gone to homes that are going to do agility with them.

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I just try to be as honest as I can - I've turned people away after viewing - but many more at first approach.

I am now starting to get silly enquiries for my boy :( - much easier to deal with.

Hope you manage to sort it

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I turned one away that said she wanted a red and white bitch because there weren't many in her area and she wanted to breed because they were pretty. Oh and she intended to keep it in the garden 24/7

I emailed the next day and simply said I didn't have any available.

I had another awkward customer who started to get really funny - she seemed okay to begin with, but then got really funny and wanted us to change the pedigree name. She asked for pick of the litter and was unhappy when I said no. She wanted the show quality one rather than the pet one even though she had no intention of showing etc

I'm afraid in the end I was much less subtle and told her exactly why she couldn't have one. I told her that i wanted a good relationship with the owners of my puppies and that i felt we would be unable to do this.

I would prefer to avoid confrontation and just say there were no pups left or I had decided to hang on to that one etc but she really annoyed me.

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

You just have to be honest I'm afraid and say you don't think a young RR around a young child is a good idea as they get very big very quicky and are very boisterous as pups (and as adults- the ones I know). If they get shirty with you then just take it on the chin and explain to them that you aren't going to change your mind. Good luck. IME most take the advice very well :)

9. Lucy1012

looks like i am just going to have to toughen up and be relatively honest... will send an email tomorrow.

10. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

I have done this even after taking a deposit, I just felt so uneasy after the prospective buyers left. I rang them the next morning and told them straight out that I was returning their cheque because I had some concerns about selling them a puppy. The man did not even ask why, he just said fine! My gut feeling was correct.
    Didn't have computers and e-mails in those days, I was a bit nervous!

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Just remind yourself why you're doing it while you hit send. You'll be fine, but most importantly you will now know the puppy will be as you can find it a more suitable home :)

12. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I had to turn down quite a few people as they wanted one of Teigans for a birthday present for a child or wife etc. The one with the wife...she didnt even know he was getting one for her, so because of this too..I turned them down, I explained he and his wife had to both be certain they want a puppy and if she didnt know about it, then that would mean they havent talked about it.
    I always think about How I Would Feel If I Let That Pup go to that family and it turned out wrong, so I make my decission there and then, be polite and if they want to be funny then you know you made the right decission. Your first priority is for that puppy. xx Dont be frightened of saying NO SORRY.

13. Lucy1012

I have done it, I sent emails to 2 people I felt uneasy about, the chap I told you about and another chap in Cornwall who wasn't bothered which one he got, and wasn't interested in coming to see him and would get a friend to collect him. So sent them both an email saying I had mis calculated and there was no longer a dog available for them.

14. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i done it once, told a bloke ( he lived miles away and asked me to choose a pup for him!!) that i'd been to a show and OH had sold his pup lol

15. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I would tell him you have a no chidren in household policy for your pups, so unfortunately you cannot provide him with one for his child, or simply say that another couple have got the pup because they are more suitable as their children have grown up, you dont really have to make excuses, if you are unsure DONT SELL HIM THE PUP, I would NEVER sell a pup to someone I was unsure about, you could even say you have decided to keep the pup.

Oh I see you have told them lol

Mo

16. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I had an argument with a lady on the phone when I said she was'nt suitable to have a puppy as she had a small baby and little kiddies too. She procceeded to shout at me at a high volume,"so your not going to let me have it then are you," and I just replied politely that it was still my dog and I can choose who is suitable to have it!! Thankyou for calling and I put the phone down gently. I could'nt believe that she thought I would just give it to her. Obviously a woman whos used to getting her own way lol :)

17. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Well done you ;)

I turned a stud enquiry away the other evening - it's hurriedness worried me before even getting on to health tests.

I just told them I was still waiting for his health results (which I was) - would you believe the hips turned about 8 hours later - phew narrow escape for someone, not sure if it was me or the bitch owner though :eek:

18. Lucy1012

It turned out well as I had a good chat with another gentleman this evening, who is coming a week sunday to meet us and Maisie. He was very honest in saying that he had a lab and they made so mistakes in terms of training etc. but would like to come and meet us to see if a ridgeback would be suitable for them. So fingers crossed that is puppy number 9 reserved. My mum has fallen for one of the girls, so i think she may be staying put lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice