Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to teach retrieve?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Inca's Mum, May 29, 2010.

1. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

It'll never go past having a game of retrieve, not planning any field trials etc. My mum just bought a dummy home for me to use with Inca (and Holly) on walks and in the garden. Thing is once Inca has it she will run off with it and lie under the trampoline :roll: how do I start in initiate bringing it back is good? She does it when she chooses, and I want it to be reliable...

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Hi Jess, I'm sure you'll get loads of useful info from the other forum you've asked this on. I'm about to go out for a curry, but will try and put a bit about how I trained Tau tomorrow for you, she wasn't an overwhelmingly natural retriever, but loves it now!

3. 12jane

12jane PetForums Senior

I have been training my 10 week old ess to retrieve today and she got it so quickly! how old are yours? My golden retriever has never even gone after things never mind bought them back!

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Jess, can you train somewhere she can't run off and hide?

If not, can you get a cheap long line? Just clip Jess on that, keep the end under your foot and that way she can't run off. If she starts to drop it, keep her on the line, and make it a game, pretend you're going to get it first, let her win and get it, and them start running away from her, she should follow with it in her mouth.

Does she retrieve anything else? If so, it's very important how you treat her when she comes back in. There are a couple of things that happen that put a dog off retrieving, I've done both in the past! The first is you loom over your dog, which is very off putting, don't bend over them, if you can, incline yourself slightly back and encourage them to jump up with their retrieve to give it to you. The second thing, is taking the retrieve from them, they've just gone out and retrieved this fabulous object, brought it back only to be mugged for it as soon as they get back to you. Praise the dog, make a fuss of them and then ask for the retrieve, it doesn't matter if they drop it at this stage, just make sure they are being rewarded for bringing it back, and treat the object, once you've got it, as though it's worthwhile retrieving, don't just chuck it away again. You will feel a right banana making a fuss of a tennis ball, dummy etc, but don't worry, there are quite a few of us!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice