Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to teach puppy not to bark?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dontaskjess, Jul 6, 2018.

1. dontaskjess

dontaskjess PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, thanks for reading. I recently got a 7 month old Labrador puppy and he is extremely easy to teach once you find the right method, he catches on so easily. However, I am struggling with stopping him barking. His main cause for barking is somewhere between fear and excitement. He barks at ‘unfamiliar’ sounds (this can be as simple as someone walking up the stairs at night if he is upstairs, or hearing or seeing something move in the garden). I’m unsure whether to classify them as ‘unfamiliar’ as with the short period we’ve had him (just over a week) the sounds have been consistent, e.g. my mum coming up the stairs, people being overheard talking in the garden.

It is something that obviously needs to be corrected before neighbours complain, etc. I just don’t know how to go about it?

Firstly, I read to ignore it but I knew this wouldn’t solve anything in this case as he is fearful and is not doing it for attention, secondly I was advised to continue giving attention to Chester when he barks to soothe him but this seems to just be a temporary fix. Please reply with your ideas thank you :).

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

3. dontaskjess

dontaskjess PetForums Newbie

Thank you I will check this out :)

4. Jackie Lee

Jackie Lee Banned

I think one of the reason why your dog is barking is that it's a way to let your dog know “OK, I checked it out too and all is clear.” It’s acknowledging their instinct to alert to something unusual rather than just ignoring it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice