Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How to teach a dog to bring the phone to you

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by Mirandashell, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

As many of you know, I have CFS. I think it would be a good trick to teach George to bring my phone to me should I ever not be able to get up. So far I have him putting his nose to the phone when I say 'Touch Phone'. But I can't work out how to teach him to pick up the phone. Any ideas?

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums Senior

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yeah..... I think that kind of training might be a bit rough on my phone. I was looking for something more like a service dog would do.

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums Senior

Teach him a generalised "fetch" cue - so he learns to pick up a variety of items on cue, then transfer it to your phone or teach it using a dummy phone. That's how I'd do it but someone will probably have an easier/better method :)
    You could attach a little tug to your phone so he isn't actually grabbing the phone but the toy attached.

ouesi likes this.
  5. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

The problem is that George is a chewer and ripper. So it needs to be a way that doesn't encourage him to see the phone as a toy.

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

This was one of the tricks that Nando and Jo Rosie taught on Teach my pet to do that ITV episode 6, They taught a dog and a horse. I don't know whether you can find that episode anywhere to watch (I think its also in their new book called teach my dog to do that.)

Essentially from what I remember they got a short length of cord / rope about 4 or 5 inches long (like dog toy pull rope). They then encouraged the dog / horse to approach the rope clicking and treating for all interactions. As the dog / horse got the idea they encouraged the animal to take the item in their mouth. Clicking and treating each time till it was reliable. Once they could offer the rope and the animal would take it they moved onto small steps of putting it nearby and repeating til rope was eventually some way away and the dog/ horse would get it. They then started work on dropping the rope. They started with holding the rope. Dog horse grabs it (now on cue). then they waited till animal dropped it clicked and treated. Rince and repeat till cue could be added.

Then they added the come cue which the dog already knew and horse picked up.

Finally when all that was working smoothly together they attacked the rope to the phone and practiced with that. Because the animals had practiced picking up the rope they grabbed that instead of the phone.

The horse performed better than the dog. :)

7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ahhh.... that sounds a little less rough than the Kikopup way. I might try that. He already knows 'Take it' with treats as that was part of his impulse control training.

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Unfortunately being itv its no longer on catchup :(

I think they got the animals to respond to the ringing of the phone but it would work with a find my phone command though you would need to make sure that the ringing phone wasn't off putting to pick up.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have the phone pick up trick in the book.

It may also have been on the From rescue dog to superdog but I haven't watched in a while to cant remember. Its here if you want to look yourself...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rescue-dog-to-super-dog/on-demand/

9. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I will do. I need him not to respond to it ringing as much as find it and bring it to me if I need to call an ambulance or a family member in an emergency.

kittih likes this.
  10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Never a true word said and that is what I instil in my dogs for competitive obedience - 'the retrieve article is not a toy', because any pouncing or mouthing on a retrieve article loses a lot of marks.

I back chain it sitting on a chair with the dog between my legs and teach them to hold with a treat on their nose.

StormyThai and ouesi like this.
  11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

How did you get to that point, Twiggy? I'm nowhere near being able to put a treat on George's nose.

12. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

If you trawl back far enough I explained in detail and posted some pictures on how to back chain retrieve. Must be about 4 years ago now.

If you sit on the edge of a chair with your feet straight out in front of you to make a channel, will your dog do a recall and present into the sit in front of you? That's a good starting point.

If I get time later I'll try and find the thread - unfortunately can't remember the title now.

13. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I shall have to train that first then. Sometimes he will bring something back and sometimes he won't. Depends on whether he wants to chew it or not first.

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

The whole point of my method is that they pick up articles cleaning and bring them straight back without chewing or mouthing them. For competition, apart from the novice class, they must go on stewards command, pick the article up, return at the same speed and sit in front of the handler and handlers are not allowed to say a word to their dogs.

StormyThai and ouesi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice