Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to Stop Puppy Jumping up

Discussion in 'Dog Services' started by One Dog Training, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

:D :D
    Chest thumping
    Who's is bigger
    One-upmanship etc :)

In the dog training world it looks like this:
    My dog has a perfect stay.
    Oh yeah? Mine will stay in the middle of a dog park with dogs playing all around him.
    Oh yeah? Well mine will stay while I throw his favorite toys all around him.
    Oh yeah? Well mine will stay even if you light fireworks next to him.
    Oh yeah? Well mine will stay for 3 hours outside a store without tying him up, with people trying to lure him away.

And it gets stupider and stupider.
    It's usually 'stay' because stay is a dead dog behavior and the crank and yank trainers love dead dog behaviors.
    Or in the sleepybones days it was a recall, because shock jocks love their recall prowess. You know, 'cause a leash, even when you're walking next to a busy highway is just too hard ;)

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you .I won't share with you the image in my head !:oops:

#42 SusieRainbow, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious
    I always picture a gorilla thumping his chest, waving his arms around, throwing branches :Hilarious:Hilarious

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

My go-to 'willy waving' photo is the one where Bates is holding a hot dog in his mouth.
    Do with that information what you will :D :Bag

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Love it!

6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

7. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

This is brilliant! I'm gonna use this to teach Woody to sit down, instead of getting really excited, when my 3 year old grandson comes to visit. Woody doesn't jump up or lick at all, I guess he's never really very hungry, but he does get very excited and sometimes knocks Lucas on his bum. Lucas thinks it's very funny, but it's not ideal in my opinion. Would be great to get him to have this as a kind of default behaviour when Lucas first arrives.
    Thank you @O2.0 for posting this!
    Bates is a "good un" isn't he!. Brilliant dog! :)

O2.0 and lullabydream like this.
  8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Bates says thank you :)
    I'm so glad you found it useful!

Let me know if you need any pointers implementing it. The key is to make sure the dog is successful at lower excitement levels before adding more excitement.
    But I do love how this teaches a dog how to behave around excited, animated children. Which, let's face it, that's the reality of what a family dog will face, and it's a great way to teach impulse control also :)

Bugsys grandma and Rafa like this.
  9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

About dominance

https://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/why-not-dominance.php
    https://nonlineardogs.com/

I recommend How Dogs learn By Birch and Bailey .

#49 kimthecat, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am disappointed that this was stated and then nothing since. Seemed to have another time to argue their methods, show a link/plug to their website and then nothing.

Surely I can't be the only one disappointed about the willy waving! Ahhh well am sure everyone will continue what we do here. Give advice and help people with out being militant about raw feeding, and outdated training advise and we will continue to have open minds about teaching and learning about dog behaviour, as their is always more to learn surely. We don't expect quick fixes but to build relationships with our dogs. If years of going to school taught us anything that lots of repeatition, adaptation is the key to learning. Although that's really what Kolb's Learning Circle is all about anyway.

11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Are you that surprised though?
    It's pretty much the usual M.O. Promote the business, or the new book you're trying to self-publish, then disappear. Happens all too often.

It would be nice if some of these training gurus would participate in the dog training and behavior forum rather than just directing people to their websites.
    Funny how our members who are indeed professionals in the dog world give of their time and advice freely on here without worrying about drumming up business....

Torin., lullabydream, lorilu and 3 others like this.
  12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

The moment someone plays the "oh you must be uneducated" card when discussing training methods whilst trying to promote a business is the moment my eyes roll into the back of my head...mostly because it usually means that the OP has no intention of taking part in the forum...

So, with that in mind and the fact the OP has only been back to delete his post I will close this now :)

Torin., lullabydream, lorilu and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice