Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to Stop Puppy Jumping up

Discussion in 'Dog Services' started by One Dog Training, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello Sean, I've moved your thread to 'Dog Services'. Can you post in that section from now on please?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  2. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Spam has nothing to do with any training...the links that you have provided AND the thread you have posted does read like spam...You may not want to shout at staff members, that is against forum rules ;)

As for the rest of your post...well that is just outdated rubbish...
    If you want to learn more then hang around and open your mind...we have trainers and owners here that train to high levels with titled dogs to boot....Have a read of the forum, you might learn something...but shouting and getting defensive won't do you any favours :)

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

J

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

And we still don’t know what qualifications you have????

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi @One Dog Training first off I'm glad to see you're going to stick around. I mean that sincerely, I do hope you do, and I do hope you open your mind to new information.

I had great danes for years. This is total baloney :Hilarious:Hilarious
    Seriously, dominance theory has been thoroughly debunked. Including by David Mech who coined the terms alpha males and female in the wolf pack.
    Yes, dominance exists as in access to resources, but as far as training a dog it's just not applicable or useful.

Of course there are multiple styles of training.
    But are they effective? Do they accomplish what they set out to do? Does the dog understand? Is he motivated to comply? Is the method humane?

Me personally, I'm not dismissing your training, I have no clue about that, I would have to see your dog and how well you and your dog work together to form an opinion on that. But I am dismissing your claim that jumping up has to do with dominance and hunger. Anyone with any modicum of experience with dogs can see how silly that is.

Sorry you feel we're being rude, I'm certainly not intending to be rude. But I do stand by what I say that pretty much all that you have written about jumping up is rubbish.
    And I too am interested in what your qualifications are :)

6. One Dog Training

One Dog Training PetForums Junior

From now on? As in all of the posts I do even if it's not dog related?

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Any posts relating to your business.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. One Dog Training

Shouting? Is was to express that it's a different style, that people didn't seem to get. It's classed as outdated or wrong as it's not the generic norm and people got defensive very quick as this style if training obviously threatens the norm.

Thanks

9. One Dog Training

Ok great that's fine thanks for the clarification

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

@One Dog Training there are many threads going on right now in dog chat and dog training and behavior where you could add your insight.
    Though fair warning: be prepared to be challenged should you offer incorrect, ineffective, or dangerous advice :)

11. One Dog Training

Thanks for being honest going about it the right way. I will watch what I post from now on to not cause this negativity towards training that's not fully understood.

I have no accreditation that makes you feel any better or proves any ones point. If it's qualifications that matter in thus business. But I do plan on getting accredited at IMDT as I believe knowledge and being open to other styles is a good mindset to hace.

Regards to experience I have done extensive full time training and work based in behavioural training who I was a franchisee of. I can't mention the business as it's under contract if we parted ways I couldn't mention their name

Now for my website I've had to start from scratch in my own business which is what you seen..."the outdated style" as some of you said in a roundabout way.

Now I'm here starting business from scratch and When most may of gave up considering the abrupt situation. My style may not be the norm but I know it works and Importantly I get happy clients and doggies

Thanks

12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

To be honest I think you have to back up any advice or statements with evidence based research.
    As you've already learned we don't accept seemingly random comments without challenging them. For example, can you tell us where the theory about dogs/puppies jumping up because of hunger came from? And how diet changes improved behaviour ?
    These are the sort of questions that get asked, if you can't back up your replies with firm evidence you will lose credibility.

13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Please don't presume to know what members understand and don't understand.
    The negative reaction to your claims has nothing to do with members not being able to grasp your style of training - a touch condescending of you don't you think?
    No, the negative reaction is simply that you're saying things that anyone with any experience with dogs knows is not true.

I think people were asking about your qualifications because they were curious as to where you get your information from as most training bodies agree that dominance is debunked and not applicable to dog-human relationships.

FWIW, qualifications don't have to be on paper, perhaps you have trialed your dog, had your training together evaluated by an independent party. Or maybe you've worked extensively in rescue alongside other trainers evaluating dogs and getting them ready for new homes, that sort of thing.
    Experience matters too :)

14. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I'll bite :)
    I'm not one for "willy waving" with other trainers...I much prefer to see what they turn out...

So, lets start...

3 year old dog (entire)
    Has a bite history
    Zero impulse control
    Pulls like a train and lunges (hard), will poke holes in other dogs if given the chance
    Dog knows very little, can't even sit on cue....

What would your training plan look like for the above dog.

Another 3 year old but a bitch this time (neutered)
    Has a bite history and is HA
    Awesome impulse control unless cats or birds are involved
    Walks beautifully on the leash unless lunging at dogs, cats or people
    Dog has had a little training but only basic pet stuff...

What would your training plan look like for the above dog.

15. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

You forgot one thing @StormyThai
    they want paying before they give you any information :Facepalm

waits to be advised re knee to chest or poke in side:Angelic

JoanneF likes this.
  16. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

perhaps you would like to explain why my last chihuahua was the boss of the next door gt dane
    and
    my present chinese crested bossed a boxer/mastiff around
    cos according to you they shouldnt be able to, given the original height difference

90% of the time my dogs dont give a tinkers cuss, when i come in, whether i have bags a-rustling or come in on my own, theyre far too busy sleeping
    and
    believe me
    my dogs are total dustbins and can smell a sealed packet of biscuits at 100 paces

17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I hope the OP answers because I am genuinely interested in not only his recommendations but those of others too. This could even have the potential to become another monthly challenge thing *slinks off before lynching from already overworked mods begins ...*

18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Am I the only one who's not particularly bothered by puppies jumping? I mean, little, baby puppies, not obnoxious juveniles, but a 12 week puppy jumping on me is pretty much what puppies do isn't it? Kind of like biting. They jump, they bite, they're obnoxious little boogers, but that's kind of par for the course with a puppy. That's why they make 'em so cute :D
    They don't have the impulse control yet to be anything but silly puppies. You manage as best you can, teach lots of happy cues to get a solid foundation, and just hold on and wait for them to grow some more neuron connections.
    I'd be kind of worried if a puppy didn't jump on me honestly!

19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I might regret asking this , but .......' willy waving'?

20. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Completely right...the only puppy I have said isn't right was a 11 week old puppy from a puppy farm that just sat there when I entered the room. Wide eyed and hadn't just woken up but frozen to the spot...I was expecting to get lynched, at the very least my shoe laces be chew toys for example. How many times do stressed out new puppy owners come here and say very similar puppy is doing this that and the other and many say; normal puppy behaviour. Just with them 3 words you are giving perspective to new owners or those who are potential new owners who have never been in contact with a puppy before.

Lurcherlad, O2.0 and DanWalkersmum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice