Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to Stop Puppy Jumping up

Discussion in 'Dog Services' started by One Dog Training, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Dog Training

One Dog Training PetForums Junior

Ok so after reading through most of the negative comments, i've decided to take of the blog post and link...It wasn't intended to be SPAM, just my style of behavioural training and how me and a few others train our dogs...Which yes do produce great results, if it didn't i would not be in the trade as my first reason for becoming a dog behavioural trainer was my love for dogs and to help owners with their dogs and understand why dogs do what they do.

If this has offended or come of the wrong way...Again this was not my intent.

Thanks

Sean

#1 One Dog Training, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh this should be fun :D

@One Dog Training your link doesn't work for me, but I'll start by saying that no, dominance has nothing to do with dogs jumping up.
    Nor does diet.

Easiest way to stop a dog jumping is to make an incompatible behavior more rewarding. Like 4 on the floor gets me attention, but jumping does not.
    My great dane used to jump on me when she was unsure about something. I'd just crouch down and let her shove her head in my armpit instead. Later that evolved in to just being near me or leaning for comfort. No... leaning is not a sign of dominance either :)

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Totally agree - puppies jumping up has absolutely nothing to do with dominance or diet.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oh boy...here we go!

Not heard rubbish like this for a while!

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In the interest of practical advice (and an excuse for me to travel down memory lane), this is a demo Bates did a long time ago. It's geared towards homes with children, and teaching a puppy both impulse control and a default behavior (sit) to prevent jumping up, mouthing, etc.

Disclaimer, Bates hated the stage, it was hollow underneath and he really didn't like that, he's such a trouper though! And my babies are SO little!!

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Bates is such a clever boy you must be so proud of him:)

kimthecat and O2.0 like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, but this is spam,not allowed.
    Incidentally what qualifications do you have ? Just asking because some of your training theories have long been debunked.

8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I love Bates so much :Happy:Kiss:Happy

O2.0 likes this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Meh... he's okay for a muttdog :D

Thank you :)

SusieRainbow and StormyThai like this.
  10. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

:eek: I'm sorry, who on earth told you that?

J

11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

oh dear and this -
    You can correct that behaviour, now at one dog training we don't use the word "NO" we use more of a growl, basically how a mum dog would tell of her puppies. Again we go into detail in our Puppy One Session and Puppy Package

The link goes straight to their business website so agree that it is spam.

12. lullabydream

Sadly who does that remind us all of!

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh dear! Turns out it wasn’t the unbalanced raw diet I needed to be concerned about!

14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

ARGGGGGHHHHH! :confused:

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Only if your dog is hungry. Then she may jump up on you and lick you. *nods sagely*

16. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

but then theyre only tasting you, in preparation of knocking you over, to eating you

JoanneF, O2.0 and SusieRainbow like this.
  17. lullabydream

@O2.0 Eevee spends a lot of time licking people in the face given opportunity...I knew she's trying to tenderise me to obviously eat me! I get it now!

So the odd time maybe every 6 weeks when she does it because I was letting her out to toilet what I should do is, add seasoning to my face and let her dig in!

Jamesgoeswalkies, JoanneF and O2.0 like this.
  18. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I should be dead if this is the case:D

lullabydream likes this.
  19. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Horace must be broken... he's not much of a licker so he must not have an appetite. No wonder he so lean for a rottie, he's probably wasting away.

And if a puppy jumping up is all about dominance, what does that say about my cat who likes to take a flying leap at me from the top of the wardrobe!?

Honestly I'll worry about who's dominant in this house when they all start growing opposable thumbs and using my bank card!

20. One Dog Training

One Dog Training PetForums Junior

OK let me start by saying wow this post shot up all defensive all of a sudden, i would of got back sooner but had to take my son to hospital, seems there are a lot of keyboard warriors on this forum...NO this is not spam, it's called a DIFFERENT TYPE OF TRAINING, believe it or not there are more ways than treat training, there is something called behavioural training that doesn't rely on feeding treats to get your dog to do stuff.

Not sure if you're trainers and you're bashing another training method or just uneducated on THIS TYPE OF TRAINING, but here i'll go, i'll educate you on my style of training and not just my style many others, is based on dog behaviours and personalities and UNDERSTANDING why dogs do what they do instead of giving a treat and not getting down to why they're doing what they are doing.

So yes dogs jump up for:
    1. Dominance
    2. Hunger

Dominance

How dogs play with each other or in the wild, they jump on top of each other, this is not an affection, imcuddling you thing, t's them playing to judge where they're are in the pack leadership in relation to each other...Height in the dog world is dominance. just like when a dog gets on top of a sofa and looks out the window, he's gaining height and guarding his territory.

Hunger

When you come back home all your dog thinks is "Where you been what have you hunted?" They may jump up sniffing or licking hands...Hunger, it's also like when a dog tries to lick your mouth...No they're not kissing you, they are searching for food as it's built into their dna from when they were wild that the mums would of fed the pups from the mouth after weaning of milk.

But by going off some f your replies to my post, i don't expect you to take any of what I've said on board...I will say there is more than one style of training and to immediately dismiss one persons type of training straight away is just unprofessional and rude.

That being said i will still continue to post on this forum my opinions and training style to hopefully help someone out along the way...i would say try to be more open minded to other training styles.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice