Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to stop puppy chewing forbidden items

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lilmisslucie, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Lilmisslucie

Lilmisslucie PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a 3 month old Boston Terrier bitch. She seems to only want to chew forbidden items. I know positive reinforcement is better than punishment and you should redirect their chewing to their toys but she will play with the toy for about a second the go back to the cushion/floormat/throw etc. i try to make it entertaining and use variety. I dont want to shout at her but it seems to be the only thing that gets her attention off of the forbidden item... for about 2 seconds. Help!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Puppies explore everything with their mouths so a lot of it is management at this stage - keeping forbidden items out of reach. If she is going for cushions and throws, make sure your replacement items have a similar soft texture as that seems to be what she is seeking out.

#2 JoanneF, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

How many different chew items with different textures has she access too? How many toys have you got for building up play with you and her? These are ones that keep her entertained with you, but are only available whilst you two are playing so that they can have more of a high value to them.

Chewing can be a complete nightmare but is absolutely normal. A lot in young puppy stage is management and access to things. So moving things away, then tempting the puppy actually it's more beneficial to at times interact with their owner, interesting toys to play alone.

Puppies have zero impulse control so at times when they have mad running round sessions, if if really is best to have moved things they can't easily grab, destroy as they have a memory of a gnat!

If you get up and remove item from your dog, it becomes very much a game. You need to swap, so your puppy doesn't start guarding. Also picking your pup up to remove from places not ideal. In my opinion all touch should be positive or it becomes a game or they soon learn quicker than anything else that it's a bit of a game, or touch isn't nice.

Bugsys grandma and JoanneF like this.
  4. Lilmisslucie

Lilmisslucie PetForums Newbie

Z

I was trying to avoid plush/soft toys because im not sure if she will be able to tell the difference between her toys and my stuffed bears. Does this ever cause challenges?

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Not if you keep them out of her reach :)

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

She's a terrier, she will like stuffed or unstaffed toys to rag about...even an old sock or a few old socks made into a toy by stuffing old ones in old ones and tying knots would suffice.

All dogs have different play styles, but terriers really like to rag, and it really is one of those things.

If your worried about your own stuffed animals, again out the way of her.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Try to think the way she is thinking. If you really craved the feel of something soft, you wouldn't be too concerned about what it was rather than how it felt. So yes, satisfy her need with soft things that she IS allowed. And keep other things out of reach.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Some pups like to chew on soft fabrics - mine did. I gave them knotted fleece tuggies.

9. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

I would think that the pup is chewing the ‘forbidden items’ knowing that they are the very things you react to when you notice the him doing it. For that very reason those things are the attention seeker items. Hence to get your full attention - chew on the “forbidden” item, and hey presto full attention !
    Put all forbidden items out of reach to thwart the intentions and work on a leave it and drop it command in your training. And of course redirect when he does get hold of things you would rather he didn’t just as you are doing.
    The worst thing is to elicit a chase because that’s just what the puppy wants, And will see this as a reward.
    All typical puppy stuff!!!! Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice