UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Megan is 11 weeks old now, training is going quite well, toilet training is getting there, she will go outside as long as the door is open or you get to the door really quickly when she heads that way :thumbup:

The problem is, if we leave the door to the garden open for her and go to do something else, when we come back she has brought as much of the garden indoors as she can. The floor is usually covered in bits of moss, mud, grass, leaves, twigs, stones etc etc. I don't want to stop her going out, and she only does it when we're not around - well she will bring things in if we are there but we just take them off her.

What do you suggest we do??

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've got a puppy like that too :lol: but she also brings in snails, and has brought in one worm and one slug, plus quite worryingly, 2 pieces of glass; 1 piece she'd dug up and was old and the smooth, but the other, was newer and sharp, no idea where in the garden she found it, or how she bought it in without cutting herself.

Compared with what our cats bring in, ie headless or half eaten, or even live mice, I don't find it a problem, assuming Rosie (puppy) will (eventually) grow out of it.

Be interesting to know if there is a way to stop it though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ours who is 1 today is the same - twigs, plants, garden ornaments and on one occasion a frog! If she's like our last dog she will eventually grow out of it - just a matter of patience - hard to do when you discover your newly vacuumed carpet covered in greenery!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Timber is nearly two and he still does this sometimes :rolleyes: He likes to shred sticks all over my carpet. When he was a pup he would dig up entire plants, including the roots, and dump them all over the floors. He grew out of it within six months, I think it was just his way of showing me what he'd been up to :D

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
Megan is 11 weeks old now, training is going quite well, toilet training is getting there, she will go outside as long as the door is open or you get to the door really quickly when she heads that way :thumbup:

The problem is, if we leave the door to the garden open for her and go to do something else, when we come back she has brought as much of the garden indoors as she can. The floor is usually covered in bits of moss, mud, grass, leaves, twigs, stones etc etc. I don't want to stop her going out, and she only does it when we're not around - well she will bring things in if we are there but we just take them off her.
close the door? :lol: ?

also, at 11-WO she should Not be going out to potty solo, IMO -
;) U need to be *there* beside her, to see
A - she actually voids
B - WHAT she voids - urine or stool
C - how much + anything unusual - blood, pink urine, straining, diarrhea...

if she just goes out the door, U have no idea when or IF she voids, nor what -
and U cannot in good conscience, crate or confine a pup that young,
NOR can U allow her access to any carpeted surfaces - since U cannot be sure she is empty.

so she cannot be crated in case she has a full bladder or bowel -
and she cannot be on the rugs in case she has a full bladder or bowel.
and - U don;t know if she;s incubating anything, either.
monitoring a pup or dog when voiding is among the cheapest ways to track health. ;)

the sticky for housetraining has lots of helpful stuff - :thumbup:
also the sticky for puppy-socialization.

theres HEAPS of good tips for pups in the 2 free books to download
on DogStarDaily -
Dog Star Daily
see FREE DOWNLOADS - the books are Before U Get Ur Puppy and After...

happy training, hun - Congratulations on the pup!
--- terry

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the opposite, my dogs take all toys OUTSIDE. Very funny when you find the cute ice bear in the rain:(
I have the door open most of the time and Cian does bring in twigs but then I send him out with them.
I don't really mind, as long as he does not eat my seedlings and new plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.