UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum. I am disabled due to a rare form of bone cancer and with the help of a mobility scooter (and yes, I scoop his poop!) enjoy walks with my Scottish Terrier. He's a great little dog and really enjoys the scooter.
My problem is that a friend's dog continually jumps up on my legs causing me a great deal of pain every day. Asking her to keep her dog under control does not work as she is elderly and struggles to cope with her young dog.
The only solution is for me to find a way to stop this dog and a couple of others from jumping up on my legs.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What and awkward situation for you - and painful too obviously. The only thing I can think of is that you have a supply of tiny dog treats about your person and throw them towards the dog in question- away from you, as they approach. Some dogs respond if you say "ow" loudly. Mine just gets worse if you do that so it would be trial and error. If you feel you want to share, I think telling the owners ( I appreciate your friend may be the exception) that you have a painful condition of your legs might make them a bit more aware.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Do you or could you carry a stick with you on the scooter? Perhaps you could hold it in front of your legs and gently repel any keen dogs with it?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Taking a different view - what your friend is allowing her dog to do is illegal - you are fearing harm from that dog which is an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act -okay so that's exteme, but that is the reality! If your friend can't or won't control her dog, or can't or won't take it for training or keep it on a lead, then your options are not to walk the dogs together. Why should you feel this way when she has an out of control dog?

I don't advise throwing treats for strange dogs because you don't know what reaction you might get from the dogs or owners - some dogs can become aggressive around food and you don't want your dog to be at risk. Also the jumping from your friend's dog could become worse because you are rewarding it!

I'd get some pet corrector to warn other dogs away, or a megaphone to alert owners that you will sue if you are jumped on.

ETA - as a dog trainer I don't recommend pet corrector to my clients, but in the case where dogs are doing damage and owners don't care enough to stop them, I'm all for it!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
If she can't or won't control the dog, say that you won't walk with her unless she gets some training classes? She could try a headcollar for more control.
As for you, I'd actually try just turning away on your scooter every time the dog jumps up and go in the opposite direction. The dog will learn that he doesn't get your attention if the dog keeps doing that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If I was on the scooter, I'd have a squirty bottle of water, and if the dog goes to jump, I'd squirt it and say no.

I personally hate dogs jumping up at me, even though I'm able bodied and it doesn't hurt, so it must be soo much worse for you! - just a real pet hate of mine.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Good point Boredom Busters hadn't thought of it that way with the treat throwing - was concentrating on protecting the sore legs, didn't think it through.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Having read the other replies I think that might worsen his behavioue. He gets no training whatsover. I love my friend dearly. She is a very caring person but when it comes to her dog she refuses to train him at all saying its his walk and he can spend the time doing what he likes. I don't understand her thinking and have said that to her but I don't want to spoil our friendship.

G

·
I like smokeybear’s video link. I’ve been known to throw a handful of treats at oncoming loose dogs with ill intentions towards my dogs. Pebbles work too, but food buys you more time.

IME dogs are far more likely to get aggressive over a perceived threat than over free food in neutral territory. And many dogs might find being corrected by a stranger as a threat.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
My mother is in a wheel chair and loves dogs. Mine were the worst for jumping at her chair. For a few visits she had a bottle of water, a quick harmless squirt soon broke the habit.. then rewards for gentle approaches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you. I'll try that.Ziggy and I enjoy our walks with a small group of people. It is a very social experience for both of us and I'm hoping the water squirting method will deal with a serious problem in a way that does not affect my friendship. If that doesn't succeed I'll try the stick to push him away. re the pet corrector spray, my concern is that it would affect Ziggy adversely and not the wild, untrained Yorkie!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.