Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to stop other cats coming in the house?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by RacingSnake, Jul 18, 2009.

1. RacingSnake

RacingSnake PetForums Junior

It might seem obvious, but as of last night, we've got a new problem :(
    We've got brand new neighbours nextdoor (1 week ago), and I saw they've got cats, 3 young cats.

We've got a cat flap for our big fat old house cat 'Tilly', but she rarely uses it unless we let her out through the door and then she'll come back in.

Anyway, last night 03:40 I heard cat fighting, not unusual but it sounded close - I got up to look out of the window and thought "that sounds a bit closer than that", then I heard a smash :rolleyes: and some real loud cries. I sprinted downstairs, and one of the neighbours cats exited our living room like a rocket and straight out of the cat flap...
    our poor cat was looking rather sorry for herself in the living room hissing at either me or my g/f as we went to get closer.

On top of that this bloomin cat has sprayed on our nice rug which we're just going to have to throw out now :rolleyes:

we can't have one of those magnetic catflaps as Tilly just won't wear a collar.

In the meanwhile we're going to leave the dog out of his crate to 'defend' the house, but I don't consider this to be a permanent solution.

I'm having a right nightmare with these animals at the moment! :eek:

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

You could get a magnetic cat flab whitch works by your cat wearing a collar that will only allow yours in. Some contain chips.

3. RacingSnake

:nonod: .

4. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Is Tilly microchipped? Get a Petporte (prices have come down alot) which reads the chip & if it doesn't recognise the cat, doesn't let it in (bit like an electronic bouncer). No collar required.

5. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

You can get a flap that works on the microchip inserted under your cat's skin. It is programmable to allowonly your cat in.

2 sorts: battery operated (Sureflap) and electric mains operated (Peta porte). Expensive but can go in door, wall or window.

No collar needed.

Check out on google and beware that there are a range or prices out there.

6. RacingSnake

thanks for the ideas... I don't actually know if she's chipped. I'll ask the g/f when she gets home :) and I'll look into the chip door thing :)

7. Rraa

Rraa PetForums VIP

The other, simple, way is to just close off the cat flap and let her in through the door when you see her approach or wanting to come in - or call her in when you want her back home. This will prevent ANY other animal from entering your home but you do have to be more aware of her movements and she will have to live more to your timetable in terms of when she goes out or comes back indoors.

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Get rid of the cat flap - she isn't using it anyway.

9. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

if she doesnt really use it why not just lock it, x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice