Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to stop bleeding after cutting a nail

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by hayleyb, Aug 3, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

Following "malowma"s thread i am jst wondering wat you would do if you accidentally trimmed too short and got the vein?

Sheldon had his nails trimmed at the groomers and needs them doin again, so was gonna get some clippers but im a little worried incase i get a little shaky and go too short.

2. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

#2 Angelic1, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  3. marion..d

marion..d PetForums VIP

you can get a styptic pencil (spelt wrong i think) from chemists that you can use on nails to help stop the bleeding,i also heard if you dab a little flour on it stops it too.. but dont know if it works...

4. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

These are good - Petkin Blood Stop Swaps Petkin Blood Stop Swabs 24 s

You can get them from Pets at Home. :)

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

If you have nothing to hand a plain unsented white candle warm till melted but not hot and dip in nail it will seal it long enough till the bleeding stops.

bichonsrus likes this.
  6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thanx for your replies guys. im gonna look into gettin some clippers and some of those pads from p@h and see how it goes he he

7. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Ive heard a bar of soap will stop the bleeding, Ive never had to try it luckily:)

I did do my moms guinea pigs once and I cut one nail abit short, it didnt bleed but I felt awfull for weeks after cus he squeeled, poor little thing:(

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

oh dear, poor you and mr guinea pig. i hope that is not somethin that happens here. altho it will give Sheldon an excuse to milk some attention he he

9. Cat The Petstreet Vet

Cat The Petstreet Vet PetForums Newbie

Hi!

If you are worried about clipping your cat's nails, you should have a look at my video, it shows you clearly how to do it and how not to cut the blood supply!

PetStreet - pet videos - fun, advice and ´how to´ films - Cat the Vet on trimming a cat´s claws

If you do make them bleed there is not a lot you can do. Just try to keep the cat calm and keep pressure on the nail. Although there can appear to be a lot of blood, they will always stop bleeding eventually. (Although if you are worried you should contact your vet)

Cat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice