Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to stop barking!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by angellicam, May 12, 2010.

1. angellicam

angellicam PetForums Newbie

Hi all

Have a little shih tzu Daisy who is 5 months old and generally coming on very well, apart from her barking!

Had problems to start with her walking - she kept just sitting down - but this is getting better and with lots of praise will keep walking. She generally has 2 walks a day, about 20 mins each walk.

Her problem is her barking in the evening - its seems to be an attention thing, demanding we play with her! I'm trying to be the pack leader and not letting her dictate to us. She can be very demanding, any advise would be very much appreciated.

thank you

2. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

Hiyas

Shih Tzu's 1st off are pretty stubborn lol and will try it on, the siting down will stop but keep taking her and dont let her win, if you do she will remember and keep trying it, we had this with our lad lasted about week or 2 and now he is fine, tries it still occ with my OH but never with me (he is a mummy's boy tho)

rough rule of thumb on walking is about 5 mins per month but every pup is different so you'll know whats right, my lad now has 2 toilet walks round the block that bout 10 mins and a half hour slow walk round park and that seems perfect for him, he still plays and naps rest of time

The barking I would say is a attention thing, where does she sleep? is she ok at night? as this might be part of it a a evening thing only.

3. montys-mama

montys-mama PetForums Junior

I'm also having a problem with barking at the moment with our 6 month old springer,
    It's definitely an attention thing, if you have food or he wants you to play he will bark and bark and although most of the time we too want to play the barking is getting a little annoying, advice too please!!

4. angellicam

angellicam PetForums Newbie

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, it is definitely an attention thing! She is really stubborn and we have to be firm with her. She sleeps in cage at night and has done from day one - never had an accident, so very good really.

She has 2 walks each day about 25 mins, but she still wants constant attention in evening to play with her! Just looks at you and sits there barking, like play with me!

Not sure whether we should ignore her or not?? when she does this. We do play with her for about 20 mins in evening but dont really want to have her tell us how long we have to play for!!
    :confused1:

5. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

This isn't so much a barking problem as a problem of a very bored and underexcercised dog! She's trying to tell you she needs more.

She's 5 months old and gets a total of an hour a day of your attention. Not enough! And even worse, there's no way she is being adequately socialized in that time.

At this age, your pup is a ball of boundless energy and an absolute learning sponge! She needs a great deal of exercise and also a great deal of mental stimulation and concerted efforts at socialization. These activities are actually determining a lot about her eventual personality, which is comprised of three things: genetics; socialization; and training!

At 5 months, she needs about an hour a day of play and walking(miminum), at least a half hour of total training sessions, and an hour or more of socialization. Some of these activities can be combined, sure, but you need to step it up!

If you don't, you are going to have a pushy, fearful, demanding little brat of a dog on your hands. :scared:

Puppies are a great deal of work. There is no way around that! But if you put the work in now, this first year to 18months, you will have a beautifully trained, happy, confident, always-welcome companion. :thumbup:If you don't, well, you don't want to go there. :eek:

Are you needing to leave her alone during the day right now? If so, seriously consider a dog walker. Otherwise, she's sleeping all day and then is going to endlessly mug you for attention when you return home. The plus side is that she clearly is very motivated with your attention, making her highly trainable; the downside is that if she's bored all day, she has no other outlet for her energy and needs than to bother you all evening.

#5 JessiesGirl, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  6. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

I thought you only walked puppies 5 mins for every month old they are, so 25 mins twice a day would be about right, obviously you can play with them in garden etc also mental stimulation.

7. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

did you get my pm message????

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice