Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to stop a yapper Yapping

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by englishrose943, Feb 15, 2008.

1. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi all any ideas on how to stop one of my dogs barking all the time. She barks for nothing all the time. Think the neighbours have had enough now they have put their house up for sale.:p

2. garryd

garryd Guest

WATER PISTOL i am told works!;)Or gaffa tape i am told can work wonders!:D:D

3. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

we put some rice in a plastic bottle and shook it whenever minnie barked. water pistols are good if you are outside but they do the carpet no favors:rolleyes:

4. garryd

garryd Guest

gaffa tape is the best:D

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Is she an old dog, are her ears clean - sometimes they bark because they are deaf!

6. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

hiya ! whatever you do dont join in with her and yell at her to stop she may just see this as you joining in whatever it is she is barking at , you need to ignore her dont even look at her. when she realises its having no response from you she may stop . you could try putting her in another room again no talking or looking at her just pick her up put her in another room and only let her out when she is quiet if she starts again put her back perserverance (if thats how you spell it) is the key . she could be barking at something you cant hear dogs having much better hearing than us its a possability . or you can try distracting her with a toy or just leading her away into the garden but usually the more attention you give to bad behaviour the worse it gets . let us know how you get on , you could just get some ear plugs lol.

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

supper glue lol

8. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Try turning the radio up! :D

9. brianbvs

brianbvs PetForums Junior

Does she respond to basic obedience commands. If no, that might be the problem.

10. englishrose943

No she is 3 yrs old and her ears are spotless. Just spoilt i guess

11. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

My sister had a barker, She did it for nothing in the day at silly noises, She also barked in the night aswell..Every time she barked she got a pint of water and threw it in her face and said simply *QUIET* then she walked away.
    She did this everytime her dog barked and she stopped it, It was brilliant :D.

Yet pebbles in a bottle worked on my bull terrier who used to bark her face of when i opened the door to let her out last thing at night to do her buisness, that stopped her doing that :)

btw if you are going to try the water tactic then the water amount depends on the size of your dog, my sisters was a bull terrier so a pint was enough for her, No doubt if u have a smaller dog then a smaller amount of water is needed :).

good luck :)

12. englishrose943

thanks andrea, she does it at 8.30 every morning too and the other 2 dogs just howl. I know this is to get me up but all day long she just yaps. Will try to ignore her.
    Thanks

13. englishrose943

She knows sit and wheres ur ball oh and do you want a chew. lol

14. englishrose943

pmsl thanks

15. garryd

garryd Guest

Water pistols gonna stop it ,but dont mess about go buy one from TOY-R-US ,one of those big back one would do the trick:D soak that little yapper;)

16. englishrose943

think i will thanks for that.

17. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I tryed that, It had no effect on my sisters dogs at all.
    But what don't work for some may work for others.
    Ignoring the situation gets you nowhere..

18. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

What sort of dog is it, some dogs just bark because they can and they get into a habit, other dogs do have a reason, sometimes they are just bored. The water pistol may work as a startle effect, but you will have to ensure you do it every time, otherwise the behaviour may become stronger.

19. englishrose943

she is a shih tzu jenny.

20. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

The moment my sisters dog started was when she thro the water in her face, There was no gaps, I said on the forum be4 about it, I told everyone she got up god knows how many times in the night to do this and she persivered even if she got up 20 times a night.
    when advised to do something we do something properly...not by halfs.

it took my sister a few nights to stop her dog barking using the pint in the face thats all..we was suprised how fast it worked on my sis dog because she is a right strong will stubborn cow, But this worked wonders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice