Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to reply to Puppy Enquiries

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by creekmouth, Feb 11, 2012.

1. creekmouth

creekmouth PetForums Junior

I have a litter on the ground right now. One is still available though ,through me deciding not to export for various reasons. All the ne puppy owners so far have been known to me for quite a while, and have met both me and the dogs,,and I am very happy with them as new owners. Now though, I am recieving new enquiries , but never quite know how to answer when the first and pretty much only thing they ask is 'How much'? I would expect them to tell a little about themselves and why they are interested in wanting one of this breed, I wonder if I am expecting too much!

2. AngelEyes92

AngelEyes92 PetForums Senior

That's not expecting too much!!
    Do you want to not sell at all to people who only ask about price or do you want to find out about them before you consider them?

x

3. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I'm not a breeder, but I personally wouldnt bother writing back to people who simply send an email saying 'How much?'. They're not the sort of people I would be selling puppies too.

4. creekmouth

I really want to know more about them yes, a typical one sent an email saying, 'nice puppies, how much are they?'...my reply..'let me know why you are interested in this breed and a little about your circumstances'....their reply ''I just need to know how much they are before wasting any more time'!
    It's very hard to read people just through these kind of emails, ordinarily I would not even reply, I kind of expect them to introduce themselves...

5. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I wouldnt sell to someone if they said 'I need to know how much they are before wasting my time.' as that makes them sound impatient (if they dont have time and patience to sell you a little about themselves, do they have time to toilet train, lead train, OB train and the rest?) and like they dont have enough money to support the dog. If someone is worried about spending £700 (just an example!) on the inital outlay of a puppy, how would they cope if there was an emergancy vet bill?

JMO, but its the buyers job to persuade a good breeder to let them have a puppy, not the breeders job to sell the puppy! Maybe If I was a breeder, I wouldnt let any of the puppies go, hah! :blush:

6. creekmouth

These are kind of my thoughts too, thanks.

7. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

It a toughy as sometimes people ask how much...its simply they want anydog at the price they have for one - these type of people usually don`t want to know much about the breeding or anything either & I wouldn`t sell to them.

Generally if someone asks how much but are still clearly interested in the breeding the parents, temperament then they are worth consideration - are generally quite happy to be asked about their knowledge of the breed and its requirements. I`d ask to have chat with these people on the phone to get a better gauge of their suitability.

Sometimes its just that they don`t know what to ask in the initial contact.

Alot of the time you just get a gut feeling about people.

8. jo5

jo5 PetForums Member

I am struggling to understand this if I am honest , there have been quite afew posts complaining about the same issue. Surely knowing the price of something is the most important factor when purchasing . Breeders very often complain about time wasters surely there would be less time wasting if you were upfront about pricing? Take the example of the email received by the OP , if they are looking to spend £700 and your pups are £1000 then no matter how well they would be suited to the puppy they couldn't afford it therefore no more wasting of your time.
    I know that paying a price for a living animal is not the same as purchasing a sofa for example but people do have budgets and if its a rarer breed such as the OPs and all breeders of the said breed have the same POA policy but then are put off by people asking???? how does the purchaser know if this particular puppy is witin their budget?
    This is not a dig at the OP but I find it a little off that breeders turn their noses up at a prospective purchaser who has the 'nerve' to ask 'how much' and yet are equally as annoyed when prospective purchasers 'waste their time' could that posiibly be that after several email contacts they then pick up the nerve to ask 'how much' only to find their are way out of budget. Up front and honest works both ways surely.

9. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

tbh I see nothing wrong in someone asking how much the puppies are , not everyone has unlimited finances , but it doesnt mean that the puppy wont get the very best of care

whats the point of getting all excited , exchanging emails with the breeder only to find in the end that the initial cost of the puppy is way out of your price range
    Thats a huge let down
    at least knowing how much the pup is going to cost ensures you dont waste either the breeders time or your own

Once I know the cost and it is something I can afford then the breeder is welcome to cross examine me to a point the spanish inquisition would be proud of :)

10. creekmouth

That is good advice Claire, thanks. I have asked for their phone number so I can have a chat, I suppose the serious enquirers will not mind. I am being a bit picky I'm sure, I want an active home, not just someone who wants a status symbol, being as they are so rare. Ideally I'd keep them all:)

jo5 and Mese, I agree with you too, and the price is no big secret, but.... I just kind of expect people to send an email with a little info about themselves and why they are drawn to this breed, once that has happened, I don't mind them asking the price aswell within the same email, but just saying 'nice puppies, how much are they' doesn't sit comfortably with me.

It is a minefield really trying to get the right balance.

#10 creekmouth, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If I have pups advertised and I get someone just asking how much they are I would not even respond to them. I understand people have a budget and need to know if the pups are a price they can afford or if they need to look else were but I also expect them to tell me a littel biit about themselves, their family and their livestyles.

12. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Ahh , I wasnt aware you were getting enquiries that just asked the price
    Thats a different kettle of fish altogether

If they cant be bothered when emailing or phoning to give a brief intro about themselves , their homelife and their knowledge of the breed before asking the price then I would also rule them out

13. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

You're not expecting to much at all. I get enquiries (sp?) often for folk asking if I have any pups, which I don't and if they read my website they would know I didn't. Usually they put nothing but "do you have any pups" or "can i have a blue bitch" If I reply to these asking for more info they never reply.

You can usually feel the genuine ones, I pass those onto my friends with litters and Aiden's litter brother has gone to someone who wanted a pup from me.

Follow your gut, you put alot of time and effort into the litter. Anyone wanting a pup should put time and effort into contacting you.

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i would expect a person, if they are really into that particular breed, and have done some research would know of an around about figure anyway..just my thoughts :D

15. jo5

jo5 PetForums Member

Yes of course but if all the rep breeders for that breed have a POA policy yet baulk when people ask the price how can you ever know how much they are from a rep breeder? So much of the breeders time which I assume is in short supply with a litter of pups, could be saved as the price would already be out there. Of course the price is not as important as what type of home they could offer the pup etc BUT I think knowing the price of a pup you are interested in purchasing is just common sense and avoids any time wasting emails.
    For example, prospective purchaser emails says a little about themselves and do you have a pup, you email back ask a bit about them etc, they email back with said info, you email back yes you have a pup that may be suitable for them, they email back great how much, you email back the price, way more than their budget you dont hear from them again.
    So are they timewasters?????
    Or have you wasted your own time by not being clear about the price from the outset I would have thought that an initial consultation should include the price whether they have asked or you have informed them just my opinion:confused:

16. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

in cases like this then the interested party should be honest and email back stating that the price is too high for them etc rather than not getting back in touch at all.

17. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

Here's a copy of an email that i sent out when i saw Kenzie advertised.

"Hi,

I have seen your advert on ********* and am writing to see if you still have the blue merle bitch puppy. We currently have a sable bitch Cali, who is coming up to 12 now and are thinking about getting another dog to join our family. We have had 2 rough collies ourselves, but our current is the 4th for the family.

All our dogs have been family pets and have been spayed as we aren't interested in breeding from them. We live in a village just outside *********and have a huge safe garden, with plenty of other walks locally.

I thought that I'd drop you an email rather than phone due to the fact that no doubt you'll be busy due to it being Christmas.

Could you also tell me how much a puppy would be please.

Many thanks"

We were lucky in that we did end up with her. The reason being, the breeder said that what i had put in the email was exactly what she was looking for. I must admit when i saw the price initially i was surprised [well it's 12 years since we bought Cali] and when we factored in fuel and an overnight stop it did make us think again. However we were then presented with a great option and this allowed us to get her.

I also think that after the initial email, we then chatted on the phone a couple of times. This allowed her to get a better 'view' of where her pup was going. It also allowed me a chance to get to know the breeder a bit.

Interestingly, both of our other roughs were bought without having met the breeders first. But we had done our research first and knew where not to go [surely as important as to where to go].

18. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

If I was ever looking for a pup from a breeder I would in the first instance drop them an email telling them a bit about myself, my lifestyle, why I think I would be right for their pup and about my home life.
    I would expect from the first email to speak to the breeder on the hpone a couple of times, which at that point once I'd established if they had a suitable dog and they were happy with us I'd ask the price.
    If at this point I thought the pups over priced I would inform the breeder and look elsewhere.

19. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

To be honest hun not telling the breeder you are no longer interested is just rude as far as im concerned

For example ... after we lost our Bud I looked around and found a breeder I liked , I emailed her , she emailed me , we then went on to talk on the phone a few times and then arranged for us to go and meet the litter

meanwhile , the breeder of a litter we had earlier inquired about (but all the pups had been sold) rang us and told us that one of the pups had been returned and were we interested ... we went to see him that same day (this is Toffee im talking about) fell in love and brought him home

The next day I rang the other breeder and explained and apologised for wasting her time , she was lovely and said she was just glad id let her know so she wouldnt be hanging around all day waiting for us to show up , and that many times people just dont bother which annoys her no end

Its just common courtesy , which these days seem sadly lacking in many :(

20. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Of course price is important, and I would expect prospective buyers to ask - but not for it to be the first and foremost thing in their mind. I know people will have a budget, but I would expect prospective buyers to have some idea of the price without even asking - if they haven't, then they have not done their homework properly and are unlikely to be good candidates to own a new pup.

For most breeders I know, the most important factor is making sure their pups go to the right home, rather than sticking to whatever price they have decided their pups will be. I know breeders who have sold pups for less than they asked to the right home, and I know breeders who have allowed the right people to take pups and then pay by installments. But I don't know any breeders who have sold pups to anyone whose first question is, "How much?"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice