Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to remove urine smell?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ShibaPup, Apr 7, 2021.

1. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

This is embarrassing - rather shameful.

Kinda not sure where else to ask for advice - Zazu is marking right by the front door, I'm trying my best to keep my eye on him and prevent it happening but I cannot watch him 24 hours a day. He is improving.

He is cocking his leg so it's going down the edge seem of my carpet and going through to the underlay. Normally he doesn't cock his leg for an actual wee.

Tried the biological washing powder and water mix, even invested in a carpet cleaner - it has helped but not massively. Even pulled the carpet up to clean underneath - let it dry. Tried adding Zoflora too - feel like it's masking the smell rather than removing it. Obviously being by my front door I'm highly conscious - I don't want it stinking.

Are there any professional products which will help remove the smell? Before I rip up the carpet and underlay - bin it and cry.

2. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

You need enzymatic cleaner I believe, we always have a bottle, we used it to clean up accidents during toilet training and now when Ozzy started marking (bin which is by the back door). I know when we hired rug doctor to sort out our sofa (potty training 3 year old was worse than puppy!) we bought specific solution which contained enzymes to break down urine.

Lurcherlad and ShibaPup like this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Simple solution is good.

ShibaPup likes this.
  4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

No advice on cleaning but have you tried a belly band on him to prevent it happening? We used one on Ted when we first got him as he used to Mark in my parents house when he was left!

ShibaPup likes this.
  5. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Thank you - ordered some Simple Solution Pet Urine Destroyer and I hope it works!

Not considered a belly band - will look into them though

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Cleaning products for urine are only good if left to work for 10 minutes or utterly useless

I would try a belly band for now but try the bio washing liquid again. Making sure the solution is warm enough and left down long enough before attempting to wipe away.

Torin. and ShibaPup like this.
  7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

What @lullabydream said. I use bio washing powder with good results. Also remember not too hot, or the enzymes in question will be denatured and unable to work. You're basically aiming for body temperature, so do the finger/ elbow test like you would for bathing babies.

Lurcherlad, ShibaPup and lullabydream like this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in very warm water will neutralise smells.

ShibaPup and lullabydream like this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Bobby was a menace when we got him, he watered the carpets and furniture liberally! ( 6 yr old private rehome)
    We found a belly band when we couldn't watch hm worked really well, mostly he didn't wee at all while wearing one. We had hm castrated at 7yrs old, it was like turning a tap off!
    Yes, highly recommend the belly band. We still put one on him if we're visiting anywhere just in case he forgets himself. Also keep triggers out of the way, plastic bags are very vulnerable specially if containing anything, and shoes and boots.
    For cleaning up Simple Spray, I should have had shares.:)

Teddy-dog and ShibaPup like this.
  10. Dog Walker Woman

Dog Walker Woman PetForums Member

White vinegar works very well too.

ShibaPup likes this.
  11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I got a huge tub of catering bicarb - leave it down to soak up the urine for about 24 hours, vacuum up, then scrub with bio washing liquid (i dont like powder as the texture makes my teeth feel weird). I make a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle.

ShibaPup likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice