Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to make your dog poo

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ted&Sarah, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

Our puppy is five months old now and for quite a while he has been sleeping well through the night and waiting until I get up (about 7am) to take him outside, where he immediately pees and poos.

However, just in the last week he has stopped pooing at night before bed. This means I have to put him to bed knowing that the last time he went was about 3pm. He then, understandably, needs to go early in the morning about 6.30am. He doesn't make any noise, so I just find a mess in his crate when I get up about an hour later.

What can I do to make him poo at night? He used to do it and nothing in his routine has changed. :confused:

2. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hi,the only thing i can suggest is that you feed him his last meal just before you go to bed,then take him out as feeding normally stimulates them to go.
    This works for us anyway,good luck.

3. rona

rona Guest

My boy hardly ever goes unless he has a short walk, it just gets the bowels working

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I find that as well Rona short walk then poo.

5. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

I've read in a couple of books that you could try and associate a word or phrase with having a poo and use that to encourage him to go. Everytime he does a poo, praise him and say your chosen phrase "be clean" "poo time" etc... Over time he should begin to associate the words with having a poo, so if he's getting distracted when you take him outside (as our boy does!) you can gently remind him why he's out there.

6. Ted&Sarah

I have been trying to use "hurry up" to get him to poo and do take him for a walk in the evening. I am going to feed him slightly later in the evening and hope for the best!

7. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella is just starting to understand the word 'poo'. When I take her out before I go to bed I say "wee" and she goes, then say "poo". She sometimes has a poo so I praise her and say "good poo". It seems to be working so far!
    Also a good fast game of fetch often makes her want to go!

8. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

rofl... there is no way you can train your dog to poo on command.

What times are you feeding your puppy ? This will have more bearing on his poo times than anything else. If you are feeding his last meal quite late then he probably won't want to go before bed.
    Unless you give him a curry, you can expect about 3-4 hours between it going in and coming back out ;)

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This is the best way to go. I wouldn't say 'hurry up' though. It's a phrase you can use to other people in circumstances when you really are in a hurry! You could then end up wasting time while the dog sniffs around, chooses a place, poos, then you have to clear it up - by then the bus could have gone without you!

10. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I started with using "hurry up" but soon realised I say it all the time in the house as she is so slow sometimes! I feel a bit of a prat telling her "good poo" but hey, it works!

11. kelseye

kelseye Banned

hello i feed my dog his last feed at 6oclock walk him and by the time i go to bed he would av had time to do his poo :D

12. Ted&Sarah

Thanks everyone - taking him for a late walk before bed now and last night he held it until I got up, so will keep fingers crossed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice