Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to lose weight - again!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catzz, Apr 19, 2011.

1. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Ok so I've been really strict with my two but they're still putting on weight. Gypsy is now 5.2kg (vet says she should be 4.5kg). Kiera is 4.2kg (vet says 4kg) I feed them 65g of dry a day between them. It's a mix of RC young female and Orijen - they pick out the RC and only eat the Orijen if they're really hungry. And they get 2 pouches of Schmusy a day between them. Gypsy mostly eats the dry and Kiera mostly eats the wet. According to the packaging this is the lowest amount 2 adult cats should get and to me it doesn't seem much. They're both fairly active - especially Kiera. As far as I can work out, they don't hunt (well spiders and flies they do but I've never seen any evidence of anything bigger) Nobody else is feeding them - they stay in the garden mostly. Kiera doesn't really seem bothered by food and never begs. Gypsy on the other hand is always always hungry - she would happily eat twice the amount I give her. Worming is up to date for both of them. So my question is really what can I do to stop Gypsy feeling hungry all the time but still lose weight. I've tried giving her all her food in one go in the hope of filling her up for longer and I've tried spreading it out over the day. It seems to make no difference to her appetite at all. Any ideas?

2. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I haven't seen your cats but to me they do not sound overweight, i find some vets to be overly obsessive about weights, i mean especially your Kiera who is 4.2kg but should be 4? that is such a tiny difference, it's not like your cat is obese!
    My eldest cat is slim and active at 15 but is 5.4kg and classed as a big cat ( by the vets) but there is NO way i would put him on a diet, i think it is your choice to be honest, if your happy the way they are i would leave them :)

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Get rid of the dry food and feed them a high quality canned diet. Feed small meals often, add water to the canned food to help them feel full.

Feed them somewhere they have to jump up to get to the dishes, I mean jump up between every serving. What I mean is, put the first serving of a tablespoon or so of food and water down for them to jump up and eat. When they finish, wait for them to jump down, then pick up the dishes and add the next serving of food and water, and put the dishes down so they will jump up again. and so on.

When Gypsy begs for food at times other than meal times, play with her instead. It may be she's not hungry, she just craves attention. Unless you are giving them regular interactive game time of a half hour or more a day, they probably are not as active as you think.

4. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Hi - thanks for the replies so far. Apart from when the couple of days when I put all their food out at once to see if it changed anything, their food is spread over 5 meals a day: 1 pouch at about 6am, 1/3 of the dry at 7.30 before I go to work, another 1/3 of it when I get home about 5pm a pouch at 7pm and the final 1/3 of dry around 11pm. The Schmusy is the best high quality stuff I can get them to eat - Bozita, Grau, Cosma etc have all been given the thumbs down from them but Schmusy is pretty good. I take your point about them not being as active as I think but they do chase each other round the house and garden and Gypsy is an expert tree climber. And also I play with them for an hour or so in the evening. I agree with the point about the dry but am a little concerned about leaving wet out all day as the weather gets warmer. This is why I'm trying to persuade them onto Orijen rather than RC. - it's taking a while though. Maybe the answer would be to swich the last two dry feeds into one wet one?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice