Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to let a dog know it's wrong to pee indoor?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by zozzen, Jul 5, 2009.

1. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

Hi, my 1-year-old dog seems to know that it's not allowed to pee at home and can usually hold it. Accident happens one or two times a week when i put a leash on her at home. Wherever she is, she can only hold it 3-4 hours after drinking water, much shorter time than in a crate. Accidents not only happen at home, but also at a restaurant.

I've kept pointing the area, said no to her, and then cleaned the area thoroughly with bleach. I also came back to a crate training for one or two days when accidents happen. More time for peeing has also been given.

After many weeks however, i began to believe that she knows it's wrong to pee there, but she thinks it's fine to take a risk.

What should i do now? any advice is appreciated!

2. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

i carnt really giv great advice as im no expert, but i dont think you should use bleach, think it just makes the smell of wee more apealling and she will wee there again, i think its non bio washing powder but could be wrong it breaks down the amonia so no smell, ignore my spelling :D some one who has better advice will be along soon x

#2 dipdog, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Firstly bleach is one of the worst things to use on dog urine as it is amonia based adding to the appeal of the original smell of wee making it inviting to go there again!! Try non biological washing powder or a purpose bought spray for eliminating urine smells.

Secondly i don't believe a dog ever knows something is wrong, they only learn that an action brings on a reaction from an owner, your dog has learnt that weeing has bought on a negative reaction from you so the pattern is:-
    she wees.....
    she skulks....
    because she knows the wee will produce a negative reaction from you!!

She doesn't really understand that WHERE SHE HAS WEED is the problem, just that she has weed and you are not happy.

I would give NO REACTION AT ALL when she wees in the wrong place, just take her outside straight away and reward even the tiniest dribble outside, then clean up the area with her out of site. If you continue to make her feel wrong about weeing you may find she will start hiding and doing it, or doing it in a room the minute you walk out to stop you being cross!!! Hope this makes sense, sorry to go on!!

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I agree with Matrix/Logan

You need to use non biological washing powder.

And the quickest way to toilet train a dog is to give HEAPS of praise when she goes outside, and ignoring her when she pees inside, calmly put her outside and clean tha area.

I foyu are using a crate, I would start a routine first thing in the morning, because she WILL need to pee then. A SOON as you get up, out her lead on and take her outside. Wait until she pees and she will probably need to poop too. Don't forget loads of praise.

If you can't watch her, leave her in the crate. And make sure you take her out half an hour or so after eating.

Hope this helps :) Just remember that all dogs learn much quicker with positive reinforcement rather than negative correction.

x

5. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

Ouchi! :blushing: I've been using bleach for half year and i didn't know it's wrong. Thanks for the advice and I will buy new washing powder today.

And i think letting her know she'll be ignored for peeing inside isn't enough for her. I did all suggested. Giving her a schedule to pee, taking her to pee after meals, taking her to pee before bed, stopping giving all-you-can-drink water supply, and no water three hours before bed.

It works 90% of time, but accidents kept happening. She just feels it's alright to pee inside because there's actually not harsh consequence. She knows too well that she's beloved by us all the time.

A new comparison comes to my home when I rescued a dog a month ago. He was abused, and seems to assume that nonobservance can drive a harsh consequence. Few weeks ago I found he peed inside, i said a firm "no " to him, and wonderfully, all problems solved. He never did it at home again.

I guess my dog is spoiled....

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

No, you're just humanising your dog - they don't think like that.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Erm.. No one has advised that she isn't getting harsh enough consequence for peeing inside.

Dogs do NOT think like humans. If she is peeing inside its because she isn't 100% on where she SHOULD be peeing.

You don't toilet train a puppy by rubbing it's nose in it (well, some do but its cruel!) you teach it by taking it out more often and praising for peeing inside.

If your dog pees inside,, it's YOUR fault for not reading the signs and getting her out on time!

I had to toilet train a 6 month old lab who had been shut in a crate for up to 21 hours a DAY he had no idea where he was supposed to pee as he has only been able to pee in his bed and he was red raw from lying in it.
    It took me 2 Months to get him trained and he still wasn't 100%.
    I had to set my alarm for every half hour through the day and every hour at night. I was a walking zombie but I knew the quickest way to get him to realsie where he was supposed to pee was to make sure he didn;t have any accidents.

I have also had to re-train a dog who's owner thought it was ok to punnish her for peeing inside. The result? A dog who was so scared to pee that she got a urine infection and nearly died!

8. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

i'm not sure on. She skulked when i found her peeing at home, but she kept doing it although she had quite a lot of time to pee outside. What really happens?

Today, a series of accidents has came. She peed, and i ignored her as suggested. After an hour, she then pooed which rarely happened over the past few weeks. That's why i think simply ignoring her doesn't work.

When i found she pooed, this time I pretended to be very angry, pointing to the poops, slapping on the floor, and repeating a word "no!". Hope this can work.

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Do NOT punish the dog for doing the toilet inside the house. All that WILL happen is the dog thinks she is being punished for doing the toilet.
    She will start to hide from you to pee or poop, she may eventually become agressive as she is scared.

Read my above post on the dog who was scared to pee.

The dog does not think like a human they can't reason. They do NOT understand that you are mad because of Where they peed, just that they peed.

Ignoring her WILL work, bu YOU need to work on the routine. She will not pee in her bed, so if you can't have 100% of your attention on her, put her in the crate and make more toilet breaks than you have been giving as you obviously aren't getting her out at the right time.

Take her Straight out once you let her out the crate. And stay out until she pees then PRAISE

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I've just noticed this post about your dog

IF she was already nervous and frightened when you got her then you are going to make her much worse by telling her off for peeing

11. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I completley agree with PoisonGirl.

You could also use a word to determine where you want it to pee.

When I had my pup, we'd take him in the garden if he looked like he was about to do it inside, we'd pick him up and take him if that was the case and used the word, "outside"

So after his dinner, drinking water and after play, we said 'outside' to him and it was such a joy to see his happy face and waggy tail when he came to the back door and in to the garden to do his business. I guess in a way, we made it like a little game to see who'd get to the back door first. However, we did have to coax him a few times to start off with, but luckily he learnt his name really quickly and after a week, he'd go to the garden himself and we only had the odd few accidents until he was about 4 months old.

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have also just found this:

How can you say one minute to ONLY give positive reinforcement with heaps of praise, then totally contradict yourself by wanting to punnish??????

13. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

oh, that's another dog, not the one I'm talking about in this post. :001_tt2:

A dog, who has a toilet problem, is 1 year old and adopted by me since she was born. She's not nervous and frightened from any aspects. As my first dogs, i think she built up huge trust on humans during her period of socialization (first 16 weeks) but it was my fault not to do a proper house training until recent months. It's particularly difficult to tell her what she was allowed to do is wrong now. We've been trying this for more than a month and it possibly needs to take a few more months.

On the contrary, the dog I mentioned in the quotation is an abused dog we rescued recently. His performance is excellent!

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok different dog, my apologies.

But you are contradicting yourself by saying you want to punnish your dog for peeing inside, when previously hou have said positive reinforcement is a golden rule. Not a very good rule if you aren't sticking to it?

15. Maybe it would be worth having a word with you vet, maybe you dog has a kidney infection or someother reason for this.
    regards
    DT

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok so by telling her off for something she has previously allowed to do, then she will become confused.
    You just need to phase out peeing indoors by only praising when she pees outisde.
    She won't understand, it will take a LONG time because she has been alowed to until you decided it was time to toilet train properly

17. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

Come on, please stick to this post. Don't quote another post that you don't read it well. :blushing:

Again, it's another dog.

I understand you want to be helpful, but frankly, I feel headache reading your description on something that didn't happen. You makes me dizzy.

Please do me a favour to delete your mistaken quote that distracts others' focus.

18. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

yes, that's what i worried about too. I feel her problem is quite strange but i think i better give her a month more on this issue. After all, she can do it well 80% of time. If accidents happen again and again, i'll take her to a vet for body check.

19. Are you feeding a totally dry diet!

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have apologised for getting the quote wrong on being a different dog.

But I am also getting a headache from reading your replies! You have come on here asking advice, then completely ignored it! Everyone who has replied has told you to ignore her for peeing inside, and praise but you seem intent on punishing her!

You can't have a 'golden rule' for training one dog and change it for another!

I agree, get the vet to check her over incase she has an infection or anything, and if not, then take the advice we give and stick at it a little longer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice