UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know?

Pippa has been on season for over 3 weeks now. I am not sure if she has finished or not. Her vulva is still pretty swollen (smaller than to begin with though) and her teats are still enlarged.

G

·
Bump!

Not to highjack your thread but am wondering as a dog walker with a bitch coming out of season (owners told me should be early this week) how would I know for definite or do I trust the owners to let me know??!!

Again - sorry to highjack your thread!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We found it really hard to tell and were very paranoid about it so to be extra safe we waited 2 weeks after she stopped bleeding so it ended up about 4 weeks after she started her season. Then we gave her a good bath to remove any remaining scent and made sure all her bedding and toys were washed too, this was partly because we send her to daycare so we didn't want the other dogs smelling anything on her and bothering her. ;)

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what this means!!!!:blink::biggrin5: Sorry - I'm going to absolutely ruin the humour by asking what it means LOL.:D
well, basically its a football joke poking fun at Liverpool fans who remember the heydays of the team but cant come to terms with being not so good now, they have 11 points now, Man Utd have 24, and this after just 20 games, or as one wag put it...

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Bitches are *usually* finished about a fortnight after they stop bleeding at the latest, although a couple of them do buck the trend and ovulate very late. However, do not be surprised if they still attract a lot of interest, from both bitches as well as dogs. The vulva and nipples do stay enlarged with entire bitches, nothing to worry about ;)

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bitches are *usually* finished about a fortnight after they stop bleeding at the latest, although a couple of them do buck the trend and ovulate very late. However, do not be surprised if they still attract a lot of interest, from both bitches as well as dogs. The vulva and nipples do stay enlarged with entire bitches, nothing to worry about ;)
Oh so she should be finished then. Is there a definate way to tell?

G

·
well, basically its a football joke poking fun at Liverpool fans who remember the heydays of the team but cant come to terms with being not so good now, they have 11 points now, Man Utd have 24, and this after just 20 games, or as one wag put it...

Ah, no wonder it was lost on me!! I'm a girl with complete football phobia....but thanks for explaining!!

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Oh so she should be finished then. Is there a definate way to tell?
Progesterone testing so you know when she's ovulating is the only *definite* way of testing. If you have friends with dogs you can see how they are with her, also her behaviour might help indicate if she's stopped being receptive at least. If you're not sure but *think* she's finished, just keep her on lead for now, and give her a week or so until you let her roam around. It's also helpful to give her a bit of a wash if you walk her in an area with a lot of other dogs, to help get rid of the enticing smells, particularly around her vulva ;)

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Progesterone testing so you know when she's ovulating is the only *definite* way of testing. If you have friends with dogs you can see how they are with her, also her behaviour might help indicate if she's stopped being receptive at least. If you're not sure but *think* she's finished, just keep her on lead for now, and give her a week or so until you let her roam around. It's also helpful to give her a bit of a wash if you walk her in an area with a lot of other dogs, to help get rid of the enticing smells, particularly around her vulva ;)
Okay thank you! Back to normal walks tomorrow! yay, will keep her on lead for a while though just to make sure! thanks :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.