Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to keep him an indoor cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mini cactus, May 26, 2010.

1. mini cactus

mini cactus PetForums Junior

Hey,

Well soon I'll have a little dude (8 weeks) who I would like to keep as an indoor cat. BUT OH wants him to poop outside straight away. I said put the litter tray in the garden then next to the door but to me I want one indoors too and really don't know how the litter tray outside is going to work?:confused1:

Whats the answer to this?

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

If you want him indoors then just put a litter tray down. I dont really understand what your asking, does your OH want him outside and you want him indoors ?

3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

The hooded litter trays with a flap kind of door, plus some good woodbased litter (we use Tesco's own brand) means there is very little smell from our girls tray. If smell is what you are worried about. Though this is also down to emptying once a day as well.

The thought of putting a kitten that young outside right away worries me. First of all you don't want to be letting the kitten out straight away anyway. Poor thing has to adjust, and get used to its new home. If you let it out straight away you may not ever see it again (unless of course you have a kitten/cat escape proof garden or enclosed run).

4. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Keep inside. No way should it go outside.

Also it will need vacs and to be neutered before you let it out.

5. mini cactus

thats exactly what I said to him! He said you can stand with him whilst he goes:eek:

I think OH is bothered about the smell and just having a litter tray around really:incazzato:

I want him an indoor cat hubby just wants him to poop outside. :confused:
    So not sure what to do..

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I have four cats and no smell people comment on how my house dont smell with them, and its cos I clean them out every day and scoop the poop out and flush it as it happens :thumbup: Cats are very clean its how clean you are that makes your house smell or not ;)

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

IMO it's quite simple. Unless you and your OH are prepared for at least, what 6 months (taking into account castration) of indoors/secure enclosed run ONLY kitten ... don't get a kitten!

:(

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok, let's approach this slightly differently - why does your cat poop have to stink in the first place?

If it does, then it usually indicates that something is not digested properly.

Have you considered feeding your kitten raw? Mine are raw fed and hand to heart their poop doesn't smell.

Otherwise, I would agree with the other people. Cats aren't like dogs that you can take outside to do their business - I don't know any cat that poops on command. Also, it is too young to go out without the proper vaccs etc.

So I am afraid your OH suggestion is a bad one.

9. mini cactus

:001_cool: I'm going to tell OH that! Instead of him doing the cleaning (which he hated but I was pregnant) I'll do it and therfore there should be no mess etc..

We are totally ready for a kitten. After 2 loses at this house (first was nearly one, the other just one) due to going out I want him indoors and I'm just going to have to talk him round. He's just being stubborn (typical)

10. mini cactus

sorry hobbs think your post came in when I was typing.

Whats feeding raw? Our cat we lost yesterday always had smelly poop bless her. I assumed this was the norm!:eek6:

so is there such thing as a good litter that can help along with stuff?

11. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

oh that`s so sad, what happened to cause your cats to die so young??

as the other have said a litter tray doesn`t need to smell. the hooded ones are the best and so long as you scoop the mess out regularly and do a full change once a week there`s no smell at all. i`ve got 2 and they don`t smell

12. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

If you have lost two cats due to been outside in your area then your OH shouldnt even be thinking about letting a third out :confused1:

13. mini cactus

My OH assumed he would poop outside then come in always.

My 1st disapeared and I never knew what happened, my 2nd I found yesterday on the pavement.

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No disrespect but does your OH think a cat walks on a lead and barks too? :D

Feeding raw is just that, you feed raw food. Well, it is more difficult than that but you can get preprepared minces that you need to keep in the freezer. Essentially you are only feeding meat, offal and bones in a certain ratio - which mimics in ratio what the typical prey of a cat would look like (a mouse).

Because raw is digested so much better than commercial cat food, they poop less and it doesn't smell.

You will find so much more info on this style of feeding over on the nutrition bit.

A smelly poop indicates that the diet is not quite right.

15. Tje

Tje Banned

I would wholeheartedly agree with that.

Or find a compromise solution... you cat proof your garden (or make a cat run), you fit a cat flap, and the cat can go outside and do his business whenever he chooses. You happy. Hubby happy. Cat safe.

or, just get your hubby to join up in here, and Waterlilly and I can form a double act and take turns at cyber slapping him, lol.

16. mini cactus

:lol: to both comments :lol:

I'm going to talk him round. I'm going to do the litter tray I'm not expecting NOW! :p

Where do you think the best place to put a litter tray? In the past they've been in the kitchen and living room but I have a 6 month old and 2 year old who are nosey :D

thanks again

btw is there a thread in general chat about me..:confused1:

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I really think you should have a proper chat with your OH before you get a kitten. It's not fair on the kitten to be expected to go outside straight away. If your OH is adamant that this is what's going to happen then I don't think you should get one. You need your OH on board to help out as there will be instances where you will need him to empty litter trays, etc. What if you can't talk him around & the kitten is there? Sorry if I sound harsh it's just that there are so many posts about people getting rid of animals that everyone in the household needs to be prepared for the upheaval that a new arrival can bring

18. Tje

Tje Banned

I think I know which thread you mean, and maybe I am just being my usual dim self, but I don't think that thread is aimed at you... I really don't. But, like I say, I am not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Hey, either way... it's par for the course on the PF... we all get bullied, sworn at, patronised, talked down to, ganged up upon at one time or another on here, lol. Let it roll off you like water off a duck's back (even if it's not aimed at you, which I am pretttty sure it's not) somethings just aint worth bothering about.

Now back to the serious issue... where to put the litter tray.... what about... hubby's wardrobe, lol (running for cover, :p)

19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

No not at all hon :p

Edit: I don't know why I put a :p but ... no it's definitely not about you don't worry.

20. mini cactus

oh yes I totally understand! We should prepare to the fullest! And we have,
    I just think OH is being dim and I was trying to see sense of it. Since joining here I can go back to what I thought originally and have found great tips and help to the right way.

:thumbup:

OH's wardrobe... naughty naughty...:lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice