Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to keep dog warm/stop whinging

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nahme, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nahme

Nahme PetForums Newbie

I have a teacup chihuahua; they're a house-dog, they gets enough excerise indoors, they like to lie next to the fire. They gets cold easily. I got an umbrella-style stroller to take them out, put covers inside and a raincover to protect from the wind. Can't take it out in the rain, was listed as waterproof and it isn't. I don't use it anymore, I've had it for years now, they would cry when inside it, and shake, and try to get out of it, I'm assuming it is because they can't see me, they're always trying to stick their head out to look at me, but don't want to buy another stroller if I'm wrong. I put them in it a few times to get used to it and they never did. I can't carry them around because they try to escape when they see something that interests them. It's particularly cold nowadays. Does anyone else take their dog out in a pram, how do you keep them warm in it and stop the whinging?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Do you mean by “house-dog” that they don’t go out for walks and only go outside in a stroller?

Put coats on them and take them for a walk, introducing them in the same way you would a pup would be my advice.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No such thing as a house dog.

Im sure your dogs would like to get the chance to be dogs, sniff stuff, interact with the world and get mental stimulation by having an actual, proper walk. Stick a coat on them, and by moving around they will generate their own heat.

Probably whining as they are stuck in a pram and frustrated.

If they are trying to escape when they see something interesting, surely that is telling you something about their wants and needs? Walks arent just about exercise.

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Dog strollers have their place, but they're not for the average dog. Treat your dog like a dog - take them for walks. If they're cold (and they'll accept one) put a coat on them. If they won't take to a coat (and my own Chi won't), either keep walks short, or alternatively, make them long enough so that the dog gets a chance to warm up.

My own Chi apparently spent the first five years of her life "refusing" to walk (before she came to me). Now she squirms to be put down and allowed to sniff and be the dog that she is. She's only picked up when absolutely necessary. ;)

O2.0, Sarah H, lullabydream and 2 others like this.
  5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I honestly find this so very sad and hope it's a fake post. :(

Let your dog be a dog, a walk is not just for exercise it is for mental stimulation, exploring outside and taking in all the sights, sounds and scents.

6. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Your dogs are dogs, and like any dog they deserve daily exercise outdoors. As others have said, get them coats and please let them be dogs.

And
    Surely these two quotes above tell you that your dogs are desperate to be allowed to explore the world like normal dogs.

I am incredibly frustrated if these dogs are being sold as "indoor dogs" - there is no such thing.

Torin., O2.0, Burrowzig and 7 others like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Yes I used to take one of my dogs out in a stroller. She as elderly when I adopted her and had a bad heart and I used it for another tiny dog later .
    One of my dogs now , Libby chi , she doesnt like the snow and is frightened of strong wind. i use a coat for her but if she runs to her basket and makes it clear she doesnt want to go then I dont force her. Its not enjoyable for me or her. She is fine at other times and is happy to go out.

Do you have a garden ?

You could use a puppy sling and see how it goes with that to get her used to going out .

Attached Files:

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Do I remember there was a post similar to this some time ago. I wonder if it was the same person as last time. Would have got the same replies too.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

What do you mean by house dogs, I've never heard of one.

How ever small a dog is they need to go out for walks that's what dogs do. Get them a nice warm coat and take them out for walks they'll soon get warm and enjoy been out.

If you can't but coats small enough get them made to measure. Gillrugs are one company that make them.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t think the op is gettin
    Well, the op hasn’t been back since reading the first two responses, which aren’t what they wanted to hear I’m sure, so I guess the thread might as well be locked now to save members wasting their time?

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice