Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to keep a dog entertained after surgery

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by redroses2106, Jan 20, 2012.

1. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

well after a sleepy day sophie is desperatly trying to get me to play tug or fetch with her which is obviously off limits sooo any suggestions on how i can keep her entertained the next week

we dont have a kong just a treat ball that only lasts her 5 minutes, i do have them hollow bones that were stuffed im thinking of filling them with tuna and freezing tonight would that work?
    obviously it wont last allll day so what else can i do to keep her busy without her running around like a looney

when i dont play with her she will throw the toy for herself :lol:

2. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Make up games.

Duke likes the one where I hide a ball under a tin can and then mix it in with several other tins and make him find, which one it's under. Keeps him occupied and spending time with me and chilled.

Do some obedience training simple not over doing it one's.

Hmm tough one.

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Hiding a favorite toy - May it simple to begin with ie in sight then make it harder. Millie loves this game. now I make her wait in another room out of sight whilst I hide her toys :)

Really anything which keeps the brain entertain :)

4. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

Finding the treat under a cup/beaker, my two love this game.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You could use the bones and refill them certainly. Most places sell Kongs now even sainsburys I notice did the Kong Classic, but there are harder ones now like the kong genius, and the Wobbler, Here is the link to the Kong website
    If you look on the section How to kong gives you ideas for fillings you can even fill your bones up with

Dog & Cat Toys & Dog Treats - Pet Toys, Dog Chew Toys | KONG Company

Saw these too the other day they are new might keep her entertained the Buster Dog Maze
    Buster DogMaze - YouTube Havent ussed one think they have only just come out but look quite good.

Stagbars last a long time and most dogs seem to love them also
    Our products | Pure Dog | Stagbar antler dog chews | natural dog treats | organic dog snacks | hypoallergenic dog chews | long-lasting dog chews | teeth cleaning dog chews | low fat dog treats

Maybe make hide and seek games, Like hiding smelly treats under things like old plastic flower pots for her to seek out a scenting game should occupy her brain.

You could even make up pass the parcel like packages with various treats in each layer, that may give her ssomething to do.

redroses2106 likes this.
  6. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

thanks for all the great ideas :D we will be giving them all a bash tomorow, and hopefully they can be used in the future aswell, im not the best at thinking new things up for her to do :eek:

will check out the links sled dog thanks :)

7. PaulRyan

PaulRyan PetForums Member

If you have some treats laying about you could try a little bit of training

8. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Wow that buster dogmaze looks great!!! My dog would prob just tip it up though :(

#8 Kittenfostermummy, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Fresh Marrow bones:D:D:D kept Woody happy for hours:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice