UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Otto is the loveliest kitty I've ever come across; he's super chilled, loves his food, is playful and affectionate (when he wants to be!). He came to us as a stray kitten and has been a welcome family member ever since.

We're getting a female kitten at the weekend in the hopes she can be a play mate for him. We're very sensitive to his needs (whole prey feeding, adequate 'play things' etc) but really feel he needs a buddy as he's terrified of the outdoors so stays inside all the time. In the past he's also lived with a Yorkshire Terrier (who he plays ambush with!).

The kitten we're getting has been brought up around and plays with a lot of older cats, so she sounds like she'll be good with Otto.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for introducing the two, or any warnings. I know Otto is lovely, but I'd hate it if in fact he didn't like the kitten and it changed his personality. I just want to take it very slowly and make sure they are both happy.

I'd also like to point out that my partner and I do want another cat too! :)

G

·
When we brought home Hermione and Osiris to my existing cats Fudge and Smudge (who would have been around 11 at the time), we left the kittens in closed carriers for a while and allowed the new smells to be experienced by all.

After about half an hour we opened the doors and the kittens emerged. Now, Hermione and Osiris were horribly young for kittens (5 and a half weeks :() so you can imagine the tottering little fat furballs they would have been. I've got a video of what happened when we opened the doors but I can explain it.

Basically, Hermione made a beeline for Fudge. She just marched straight over to him with her little stick tail high and a curl at the end. Fudge didn't know what to make of it so kept backing off, but she kept coming. And then Osiris too. Fudge hopped over them and moved away, and they turned and rubbed themselves against the table leg and then had another go. March march march, right over to both fudge and Smudge to rub them and give them affection. It was so hilarious to see these full grown cats wary of what basically looked like hairballs on stick legs :D

Smudge wouldn't let them get near him at first, but it seriously didn't take long until they were totally accepted. Up until they were months old, Fudge used to allow the kittens to suckle from his tummy fur (complete with leg in the air like a real mother cat), and they used to knead him whilst doing it.

My older cats really did adopt these little hair balls. I've got a lovely picture of Smudge and Osiris asleep after Osiris has been given a good bath. He was completely soggy at the end of it!

Here's Ruggy with Hermione asleep over his back :)

Fudge and Smudge had to meet more kittens later on, as they were still around when Hermione had her kittens. Again it just took time but they gradually accepted them. Just be tolerant of any behaviour (whilst obviously keeping the cats safe) and don't be too disheartened if it's not perfect at the start. Cats have to get used to one another over a period of time a lot as I've discovered when I've split up my current cats. When Thea went to live with her mother Hermione at my sister's this year (she hadn't seen her for 18 months), they were spitting at each other for days.

Now they're like this :) <3

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
of course its that simple..... and im always in a good mood..:p

your going to have hissy fits at first.. but things will soon settle down.. if not then remove one to a spare room then try a little slower.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nexi - what a lovely post :)

Currently, Nivali (kitten) is beneath the couch and Otto (cat) is circling it. Last night's introduction went okay (from what I've read). No signs of affection yet (although there was a butt sniff moment!), a few swipes to the kitten and hisses from both. Otto is intrigued though and won't leave her alone.

Fingers crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.